CANEDY, PELEG C., son of Capt. Peleg and Silence Fobes Canedy, was born August 25, 1803, in Enfield, Hampshire county, Mass., partly raised at Middlebury, Vt., and spent most of his early manhood in Washington City, where he was accustomed to see Webster, Clay, Calhoun, and their compeers. There he also saw for the last time, his brother, Lieut. Philander F. Canedy, of the U. S. Navy, who, after having done important service in the harbor of Charleston, S. C., during the nullification excitement, and acted as sailing master of the sloop of war Florida, died Jan. 2, 1834, at Pensacola, Florida. Mr. P. C. Canedy visited New Orleans, Nachitoches and St. Louis, at the latter of which he engaged in business for a time, and came to Springfield, Ill., in Dec., 1830, just in time for the "deep snow." He began the drug business, and still later added books to his stock. This was the first establishment of the kind in Springfield. He was married in Morgan county, Illinois, August 8, 1838, to Sarah Camp, who was born Jan., 1815, in Vermont. They had three children--
CHARLES FOBES, born June 4, 1847, in Springfield. His early education was received in the preparatory department of Illinois University, and at the Central High School, both in Springfield. His preparation for college was continued by his private tutor, Rev. John F. Brooks, of same city. He graduated at Yale college, July 22, 1869, and graduated at the General Theological Seminary, New York City, June 27, 1873. While a student he had charge, as lay reader, of St. Mark's church, Baskingridge, N. J. He was ordained Deacon in the Protestant Episcopal church, by Bishop Potter, of New York, June 29, 1873. He was ordained Priest by the aforesaid prelate, Nov. 23, 1873, and Yale college conferred the degree of Master of Arts on him, June 25, 1874. Rev. C. F. Canedy is unmarried, and Rector of St. John's church, Monticello, N. Y.
GEORGE P. died in his third year.
MARY P., born March 31, 1852, in Springfield, was partially educated there, but finished her education at the Chegaray Institute, Philadelphia, and St. Mary's school, New York City. She resides with her brother, the Rev. C. F. Canedy, at Monticello.
Mrs. Sarah Canedy died Jan. 12, 1855, in Springfield. P. C. Canedy was for many years deacon and trustee in the second Presbyterian church, Springfield, Ill., and before the latter place adopted a city government, was member and President of the Board of Town Trustees. He was also one of the committee to receive President Lincoln's remains. He has always been active and energetic in every undertaking which had in view the welfare and happiness of his fellow citizens. A local paper of March, 1863, speaks of him as an example of uprightness and integrity. Mr. Canedy travels much, and is often at Springfield, but considers his son's house his home. He is now, March, 1876, in Springfield.