Sangamon County ILGenWeb © 2000
In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).

By Joseph Wallace, M. A.
of the Springfield Bar
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, IL

Page 777

ANDERSON, E. M. One of the most prominent and influential citizens of Maxwell township is E. M. Anderson, whose home is on section 18, where he owns two hundred acres of fine farming land. He is a native of this state, born in Morgan county, September 25, 1857, and is a son of John Anderson, whose birth occurred in Henry county, Kentucky, in 1808. His grandfather, James Anderson, was a native of the same state, where the family was established during pioneer days. His early ancestors made their home in Virginia.

John Anderson, our subject's father, spent his early life in Kentucky and was first married in Indiana when about twenty years of age, after which he made his home in that state for two years, during which time one son was born to him and his wife. Coming to Illinois in 1829, he settled in Morgan county, where he entered land from the government, erecting thereon the first cabin built in his neighborhood. Later he purchased more land until he became the owner of four hundred and forty acres, which he converted into a fine farm improved with good buildings. There his first wife died, leaving five children who reached years of maturity, and he subsequently wedded Miss Elizabeth Rees, who was also born and reared in Kentucky, that being the birthplace of her parents, John and Martha Rees. The family was of Welsh descent. John Anderson continued to make his home in Morgan county throughout the remainder of his life, dying there on the 13th of August, 1890, honored and respected by all who knew him. He was familiarly called Uncle John by many friends throughout this community. His second wife died in 1888. E. M., of this review, is the fifth in order of birth of the six children born of this union. There were four sons and two daughters, of whom three sons and both daughters are still living.

E. M. Anderson was given good educational advantages during his boyhood and youth and after attending the common schools for some years, he pursued a course at the Normal School at Normal, Illinois, and a business course at Jacksonville. Early in life he became thoroughly familiar with every department of farm work and after reaching man's estate he followed that occupation in partnership with his father for several years. In connection with general farming he has always given considerable attention to the raising and feeding of stock. He continued on the old homestead until after his father's death, when he executed the will and sold the farm. He then purchased one hundred and sixty-five acres of land in Maxwell township, Sangamon county, where he now resides, and by additional purchase has added to his property until he now has two hundred and ten acres of very valuable and productive land. He usually feeds from three to five carloads of cattle for market annually and a large number of hogs, and has found this business quite profitable. He also owns and operates a steam thresher and corn sheller and in this way materially adds to his income.

On the 5th of March, 1885, in Morgan county, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Anderson and Miss Nettie Green, who is also a native of that county and is a well educated lady, having attended Lexington College and the Jacksonville Female College. Her father, Austin B. Green, is a native of Morgan county, a son of one of its pioneer settlers from Ohio. He married Miss Mary Rector, a daughter of Colonel James and Minerva (Morton) Rector. Mrs. Anderson's grandmother was the first white child born in Morgan county and is still living at the age of eighty years. Unto our subject and his wife have been born three children: Everett, John M. and Lelia, all a home.

Mr. Anderson cast his first presidential vote for Grover Cleveland in 1880, and has since supported the Democratic party. In 1898 he was elected the first supervisor of Maxwell township, and has most acceptably filled that office, now serving his third term. He has been a member of several important committees during that time. He has been a delegate to numerous county and senatorial conventions of his party and has served on the county central committee. He joined the Odd Fellows' society at Woodson, but is now connected with the lodge at New Berlin, of which he is a charter member, and he also belongs to the encampment at Waverly. His wife holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and they stand high in the community in which they make their home. Those who know them best are numbered among their warmest friends, and they have an extended acquaintance throughout Morgan and Sangamon counties.

Return to 1904 Biographies Index
Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb