Sangamon County ILGenWeb © 2000
In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).

By Joseph Wallace, M. A.
of the Springfield Bar
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, IL

Transcribed by: Mary Ann Kaylor

Page 1569

JOHN P. ANDERSON. From the age of eight years John P. Anderson has been dependent upon his own resources for a living. He was but a boy when he started out for himself _ too young to face the world and its responsibilities _ and yet he bravely met the task that was assigned to him and entered upon a career in which he has won a creditable degree of success and made for himself an honorable name. He is now conducting a general transfer and storage business in Springfield, where he has lived since 1892. He was born in the northwestern part of Sweden, June 9, 1872. He had a brother, Gus Anderson, who was formerly of this county and died in Iowa in 1895, and it was through his influence that our subject came to America. He was educated in the public schools of his native country and was reared upon a farm there. When but eight years of age, however, he began earning his own living as an office boy and later he commenced to learn the miller's trade. He dressed many stones such as were used in the old time mills and has worked in all branches of the business.

In 1892 he came to America and was first employed at farm labor in the vicinity of Hoopeston, Illinois, for about four years. He afterward traveled through Iowa and Nebraska, but, returning to this state, took up his abode in Springfield, where he purchased a team and began draying. He brought one of the finest teams to the city and tended his efforts to the storage business. He has been located at his present place for about two years, but is now building on East Washington street a two story structure, forty by one hundred and fifty_seven feet. He has stall room there for thirty horses and continually keeps twelve teams and nineteen wagons employed. He expects soon to increase his business by enlarging his facilities and to the control of his enterprise he give his personal attention.

Mr. Anderson belongs to Springfield Lodge No. 465, I.O.O.F., and to Springfield Lodge, No. 4, A.F&A.M., and the Improved Order of Red Men. Since coming to this country he has endorsed the principles of the Republican party, but has never been an office seeker, and he belongs to the Grace Lutheran church. Mr. Anderson is a liberal advertiser and employs every progressive method in the conduct of his business. He enjoys the confidence of a large circle of friends and business associates and Springfield recognizes in him an adopted son who is found as a champion of all her progressive measures of upbuilding.

Return to 1904 Biographies Index
Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb