GEORGE BUCK - George Buck, who is now living retired in Springfield, was born in Hagerstown, Maryland, January 21, 1839, and was a son of George and Eva Buck, who were natives of Baden, Germany. The father was born in 1808 and was a tailor by trade. After his marriage he emigrated to the new world in 1836, settling in Hagerstown, Maryland, where both he and his wife spent their remaining days, her death occurring in 1870, while he passed away in 1878. They were the parents of four sons and two daughters, of whom George Buck of this review is the eldest. William was born January 21, 1843, in Hagerstown, Maryland, and coming west about 1867, located in Rochester, Illinois, where he was married in 1869 to Hattie Hasbrook, and to them were born five children, those still living being Elizabeth, Hattie, Jennie and Angelo. The last named was a soldier of the Spanish-American war and his father served in a Maryland regiment during the Civil war. William Buck and family spent several years in Highland, New York. and then removed to Humeston, Iowa, where he is now living retired. John, the next member of the family, was born August 14, 1847, is unmarried and resides in Springfield, being engaged in the gent's furnishing business with his brother Frederick. Elizabeth, who was born November 14, 1850, died in Hagerstown. Maryland, in 1879. Frederick, born June 24, 1852, is a member of the firm of Buck Brothers, of Springfield. He married Catherine Brown, of this city and they have four children: Frederick J., Sophia, Lucy, and an infant. Sophia, born May 30, 1855, is the deceased wife of Charles Fetzer. She died in March 3, 1892, leaving a daughter, Sophia Marie.
George Buck, whose name introduces this record, obtained his education in private schools of his native town and there in his early life learned the carpenter's trade, serving a three years' apprenticeship. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Battery C of an Independent Pennsylvania Light Artillery Regiment, and served until April, 1865, when he was honorably discharged at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He was in active service throughout the entire time, participating in many important engagements including the battles of Cedar Mountain, Fredericksburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, the second battle of Bull Run, Mine Run and Snickers' Gap. At Gettysburg, which was the most hotly contested battle of the entire war, he participated in Pickett's famous charge, and the name of his battery was placed on the roll of honor at high water mark at Gettysburg. There Mr. Buck received a flesh wound and he lost his hearing at Cedar Mountain.
After being honorably discharged he returned home for a short time and then started for St. Louis, but, meeting friends in Springfield, Illinois, he decided to remain here and since June, 1865, has been a resident of this city. For a year he worked as a journeyman carpenter and then began contracting, which business he carried on with excellent success until 1890, when he retired with a handsome competence. He erected the Hay school. The addition to the Lincoln and Converse schools, the Stearnes school and also a school building at Rochester, Illinois. In 1870 he built the Sangamon county poorhouse and he remodeled the governor's mansion during Fifer's administration. He also took and executed contracts for a number of business blocks in this city and has built a large number of residences. His work has been a benefit to Springfield and he has greatly improved this city and through his earnest and well directed efforts at the same tine won for himself a very desirable competence.
On the 15th of July, 1875, Mr. Buck was united in marriage to Miss Jeanette I. Withey, a daughter of George
D. Withey and since that time they have resided at the old Withey homestead, keeping house for her father
after her mother's death. Mr. Buck has purchased a small place in Springfield township, which he enjoys as a
summer home. He has also invested quite largely in real estate and has improved and sold much property. He is
now the owner of a large amount of tenement property and his time is devoted to the supervision of his
personal interests. His political support is given to the Republican party and he is a member of the English
Lutheran church, in which be has served on the official board for a number of years. He also belongs to
Stephenson Post, No. 30, G. A. R., which he joined on its organization in 1866. He likewise belongs to the
Union Veteran Legion of the United States and holds the rank of colonel on the staff of the national
commander. He has taken an active interest in the work of the Legion and everything pertaining to the welfare
of the old soldier elicits his attention and in many cases his co-operation. He has always been an advocate of
public movement and measures for the public benefit and he is likewise a man of domestic tastes and habits who
finds his greatest happiness in his own home. His business interests made him well known in Springfield and
lie is now numbered among the successful men of the city who owe their advancement not to any fortunate
combination of circumstance, but to attention to business, to careful management and to safe investment.