Sangamon County ILGenWeb © 2000
In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).

By Joseph Wallace, M. A.
of the Springfield Bar
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, IL

SAMUEL A. BULLARD - Samuel A. Bullard has attained prestige in the line of his profession - that of architecture - and the evidences of his skill are found not only in some of the finest structures of Springfield, but also in the northwest. Mr. Bullard is a native son of Sangamon county, his birth having occurred here on the 25th of March, 1853. His father, Wesley Bullard, was born in Kentucky and came of French ancestry, but the family was founded in Virginia at an early epoch in the development of this country. Through several generations representatives of the name remained in the Old Dominion, and then the family was established in Kentucky. After arriving at years of maturity Wesley Bullard was united in marriage to Sarah Foster. In 1835 he came to Illinois, casting in his lot with the pioneer settlers in the eastern portion of Sangamon county, where he entered land from the government. The old patent signed by Andrew Jackson is still in existence. His wife, although a native of Indiana, was of Kentucky parentage, and her death occurred in the year 1861. Of their marriage eight children were born. After the death of his first wife Mr. Bullard was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Holtzman, nee Kidd, who was a native of Ohio. By her marriage to Mr. Bullard she became the mother of two children.

Samuel A. Bullard, whose name introduces this review, was the fifth child of the first marriage. Seven of the number are still living, residing in various parts of the country, in Illinois, Washington and Arkansas. Not unlike other farmer boys our subject spent, the days of his youth. In the district schools near his home he began his education, and later he enjoyed good privileges in that direction, becoming a student in the State University at Champaign, Illinois. He was graduated there with the class of 1878, winning high honors in architecture and securing the degree of Bachelor of Science. He had determined to make the profession of architecture his life work and to this end he had studied thoroughly and comprehensively, so that he undertook his work well equipped for the tasks which awaited him. Opening an office in Springfield, he has remained here continuously, and his skill and ability have found recognition, a liberal patronage having been accorded him. Among the many fine buildings which have been erected after plans drawn by Mr. Bullard are the state arsenal and city hall, the Methodist Episcopal church, Christ church, Grace Lutheran church, the Enos school, the Young Men's Christian Association building and many fine business blocks and residences. Nature probably designed that Mr. Bullard should be au architect, for in early life he evinced ability in this direction, and through labor, study and perseverance he has developed his natural talents until he now occupies a prominent position among architects of the Mississippi valley. He was also associated in business with his brother, George W., of Tacoma, Washington, under the firm name of Bullard & Bullard, until about 1893, and the firm had an extensive patronage, not only in the state of Washington, but in other parts of our western country.

On the 19th of April, 1882, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Bullard and Miss Elsie Elliott, a daughter of John B. Elliott, of Tonica, La Salle county, Illinois, where her birth occurred. Four children have been born unto them: Nellie, Edwin Elliott, Clark Wesley and Elsie, and the household is noted for its gracious hospitality, which is greatly enjoyed by a large circle of friends of Mr. and Mrs. Bullard. The parents hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, and in his political views Mr. Bullard is a Republican, while fraternally he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. In 1888 he was elected trustee of the Illinois University, and he takes a deep and abiding interest in educational work, believing it one of the bulwarks of the nation. Though never seeking for political honors he has exerted considerable influence in public affairs, and his efforts in this direction have ever been on the side of improvement and progress. Keen and cool-headed, always busy, always careful and conservative in financial matters, moving slowly but surely in every direction, he has few superiors in the steady progress which invariably reaches the objective point.

Return to 1904 Biographies Index
Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb