Sangamon County ILGenWeb © 2000
In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).

By Joseph Wallace, M. A.
of the Springfield Bar
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, IL

GEORGE W. DAVIDSON. - George W. Davidson has a valuable farm property, three hundred and seventy acres in extent, and as an agriculturist and stock shipper he is well known. His home is situated on section 10, Divernon township, within three miles of the villages of Pawnee and Divernon. Born in Ball township, this county, on the 12th of March, 1855, he is a son of Samuel Davidson. He was here reared to manhood in Pawnee township and, entering the common schools, acquired his education. He developed habits of industry and enterprise during his work upon the old home farm, where he resided until thirty-three years of age. In the meantime, however, he had purchased property for himself on section 10, Divernon township, beginning with two hundred and ninety acres of fine land. To this he afterward added eighty acres in an adjoining tract and now has one of the best farms of the locality. He has planted fruit and shade trees and has added modern equipments until his farm is one of the best improved in the neighborhood. All this indicates that his life has been active and characterized by energy, enterprise and progressive ideas. He gives considerable attention to the raising and feeding of stick and fattens annually for the market on an average of one hundred head of steers. He also ships a large number of hogs, and because his stock is ever in excellent condition he is thus enabled to command the best market prices.

Mr. Davidson was married in Ball township, October 22, 1888, to Miss Anna E. Shepherd, a daughter of Thomas B. Shepherd, and they have two children: Flossie Leona and Leila Frances. Mrs. Davidson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Davidson belongs to Divernon Lodge No. 200, I.O.OF. On questions of national importance he votes with the Democracy, but at local elections casts his ballot for the men whom he thinks best qualified for office regardless of party affiliations. He was elected and served as commissioner of highways and has also been school director for seven years. He believes in the employment of competent teachers and thus keeping up the standard of the schools. In fact, in all matters of citizenship he is progressive and public spirited, desiring the substantial growth and improvement of the county, and his efforts have ever been directed in these lines. His personal worth is widely acknowledged and both he and his estimable wife are well worthy of mention in the history of Sangamon County.

Return to 1904 Biographies Index
Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb