Sangamon County ILGenWeb © 2000
In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).

By Joseph Wallace, M. A.
of the Springfield Bar
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, IL

CLARKSON WINFIELD FREEMAN. - Clarkson Winfield Freeman was born at the family home at No. 313 West Monroe street in Springfield, September 9, 1852, his parents being Abraham and Margaret (Whiteside) Freeman, who are mentioned on another page of this volume. He obtained his education in the public schools of this city and of Texas, going to the Lone Star state with his parents in 1860 and remaining there for seven years. The family then returned to this city, where Clarkson W. Freeman has since made his home. For some time he followed farming in Sangamon county and was also engaged in the transfer and storage business for a number of years, but is now living retired. He was a man of energy, enterprise and persistence in his business affairs, and his well directed efforts resulted in bringing to him a very desirable financial return. Political honors and emoluments have no attraction for him, and while engaged in business he had no time for office nor has he since had any desire for advancement in that direction.

On the 8th of May, 1879, mr. freeman was united in marriage to Miss Mary Catherine Taylor, a daughter of Simeon and Louisa J. (Buchanan) Taylor. She was educated in the schools of Sangamon county and is a most estimable lady. Our subject has no children and with the exception of his father, who is now eighty-eight years of age, is the only one to bear the family name of Freeman. In 1879 he built his home at No. 704 West Monroe street and here he and his wife are living, extending to their many friends the gracious hospitality of their home. Mr. Freeman is a public-spirited man, who has been a co-operant factor in many interests for the general good. In April, 1877, he became a member of the Second Presbyterian Church of this city and has since been one of its liberal contributors and devoted members. He has ever been a dutiful son, and today he finds great pleasure in the companionship of his aged parents.

Return to 1904 Biographies Index
Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb