Transcribed by Mary Ann Kaylor
Dr. Addison C. James , who for twenty-four years has engaged in the practice of his profession, winning prestige as a member of the medical fraternity, was born in Tazewell county, this sate, on the 29th of October, 1853, a son of Dr. Lorenzo James, whose birth occurred in Pennsylvania in 1817. He was graduated in the Albany Medical College, of Albany, New York, and after his graduation he entered upon the practice of his profession in his native state, where he remained for twenty years, removing the to Zanesville, Ohio, making that city the place of his residence until 1842, when he located in Tazewell County, Illinois. There he continued to practice for a time, but subsequently removed to Atlanta, Logan county, Illinois, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1890. Through many years he had devoted his attention to the practice of medicine, his labor proving a blessing in many households, for his marked skill and ability enabled him to cope with many of the difficult problems which continually confront the physician. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Blythe, died in 1879.
Accompanying parents on their removal to Logan county, Dr. Addison C. James completed his literary education in the Atlanta high school, after which he mastered the drug business while employed in a pharmacy of Atlanta. Subsequently he went to Lincoln, Illinois, where he accepted a position as a salesman in a drug store and at the same time he began reading medicine, which he continued until his graduation in the Rush Medical College of Chicago, with the class of 1880. The year following Dr. James came to Springfield and opened an office, since continuing in the practice of his profession in this city, his close application, earnest efforts and through understanding of the principles of the science of medicine making him one of the skilled, popular and successful members of the fraternity in the capital city.
In 1882, in Springfield, Dr. James was united in marriage to Miss Emma Schenck, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, and in her childhood was brought to this city, where her girlhood was therefore passed. The marriage of the Doctor and his wife has been blessed with one son, Harry L., who is a graduate of the Springfield high school, and is now taking a six years' course at the University of Chicago and Rush Medical College, now in his second year. The family has a pleasant home at No. 1203 South Eighth street.
Socially the Doctor is a member of Central lodge, No. 71, A.F. and A. M.; Springfield chapter, R. A. M.; Elwood commandery, K T., and of the Peoria council, R. & S. M, while his membership in the Mystic Shrine connects him with Mahomet temple. In connection with his professional duties Dr. James is engaged in the drug business in partnership with Edward Hoy under the firm name of Hoy & James. He is surgeon to the Springfield Hospital Training School and in his practice he makes a specialty of gynecology. Belonging to the Sangamon County Medical Society and the State Medical Society, through the interchange of opinions in their meetings he keep abreast with the best thinking men of the profession, and reading and personal investigation are also broadening his knowledge and promoting his efficiency in a calling in which he has already gained an enviable position of prominence.