Sangamon County ILGenWeb © 2000
In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).

By Joseph Wallace, M. A.
of the Springfield Bar
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, IL

Page 693

CHARLES B. MCCLELLAND - The rich farming district of central Illinois affords splendid opportunity to the agriculturist, and among those who are identified with the cultivation of the soil near the capital city is Charles B. McClelland, who makes his home on section 24, Woodside township. Here he raises grain and stock and his farm of four hundred acres is a most attractive property, being well improved with modern equipments, while the fields yield golden harvests in return for the care and labor he bestows upon them. His home is pleasantly located within six miles of the city of Springfield.

Mr. McClelland has always resided in Sangamon county, his birth having occurred within its borders on the 31st of July, 1861. His father, Thomas McClelland, was likewise a native of this county, and the grandfather, Robert McClelland, coming from Ohio, settled in Illinois in pioneer days. He reared his son in this county and after arriving at years of maturity Thomas McClelland was married here to Sarah J. Brown, whose birth occurred in Fancy Creek township. After his marriage he took up his abode upon a farm on the boundary line between Logan and Sangamon counties and was engaged in its cultivation and improvement until 1865, when he purchased the property on which his son Charles B. is now living. He became the owner here of two hundred and forty acres and as the years passed he wrought a great change in the appearance of the place through the cultivation of the fields and through the addition of many modern improvements, including good buildings. His last years were spent upon his property and here he died in April, 1875. His widow still survives him and yet resides on the old homestead with her son.

Charles B. McClelland early became familiar with farm work on his father's farm and under his direction, assisting in the duties of field and meadow when not engaged in the work of the schoolroom. He pursued his education in the common schools and thus acquired a good practical knowledge. Since attaining to adult age he has added to the old homestead and he now owns altogether four hundred and thirty-six acres of rich and arable land, all in one body. He has built upon this place good buildings, has fenced and tilled it and, in fact, has carried on the work of improvement and progress until he now has a very excellent farm.

On the 6th of October, 1886, in Woodside township, Mr. McClelland was united in marriage to Miss Alice Tobin, who was born and reared in Sangamon County and is a daughter of E. W. Tobin, one of the early settlers of this part of the state. Two children grace this marriage: Charles Wesley and Ralph Elmer.

Mr. McClelland exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, never faltering in his allegiance to that organization. He has been elected and served as treasurer and as highway commissioner, these offices coming to him in recognition of his ability and not because he has sought to figure in a prominent political position. He belongs to the Masonic Order, holding membership with Rochester Lodge, No. 635, A.F. & A.M., in which he has filled all of the chairs and is now a past master. He has likewise represented his lodge in the grand lodge of the state. His entire life having been passed in Sangamon county, he has an accurate knowledge of its history for more than forty years and has taken a just pride in what has been accomplished here. He has ever borne his part in matters of citizenship and has been especially helpful in the agricultural development of central Illinois.

Return to 1904 Biographies Index
Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb