HEZEKIAH MILLER - Hezekiah Miller was well known throughout central Illinois as an educator of ability and many now successful business men acknowledge their indebtedness to him, not only for mental training, but also for the stimulus which he gave to their energy and ambition. He settled in Sangamon county in 1865 and his worth as a citizen was soon demonstrated. Mr. Miller was born in Maryland, his parents being Henry and Eve Miller, who were also natives of that state. Subsequently they removed to Ohio, settling near Urbana upon a tract of land on which the father engaged in farming. Both he and his wife continued to reside in the Buckeye state until their life's labor was ended in death.
Hezekiah Miller obtained a good education in the public schools of Urbana, Ohio, and displayed special aptitude for his studies. After he had completed his course there he began teaching in the common schools of that city and was thus employed until 1865, when he came west with his family, establishing his home in Williamsville, Sangamon county, Illinois. For a few years he was engaged in teaching in the district schools near that place and was then elected principal of the schools in Williamsville, occupying that position continuously until his death. In his work he followed advanced ideas, and was always desirous of gaining new ideas that would make his labors as an educator of more practical value to the students who came under his care.
Ere his removal from Champaign county, Ohio, Mr. Miller was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth A. Cavanaugh, who was born in that county, a daughter of Samuel and Margaret (Hanger) Cavanaugh. Her father was a farmer by occupation and resided in Champaign county until his death, which occurred in 1893. His widow still survives him and is now more than eighty years of age. She makes her home with a daughter on the old farm in Champaign county, where she and her husband located so many years ago. Eight children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. Miller, five of whom are now living: Lewis H., a resident of Chicago, is employed by the Western Union Telegraph Company. Marjorie and Fannie are twins and the former, residing with her mother, is a teacher in the public schools of Sangamon county, while Fannie, also at home, is employed as a stenographer. Martha is a stenographer, occupying a position in Springfield. George is a printer by trade. With the exception of the first named all are still with Mrs. Miller. Three of the children have passed away.
Mr. Miller was a very intelligent man and his scholarly attainments, broad mind and great sympathy made him highly respected throughout the community. While he possessed decided views he nevertheless displayed deference for the opinions of others and his genial and courteous manner made him popular with a large circle of friends. He died in Williamsville, April 10, 1885. After the death of her husband Mrs. Miller removed with her family to Springfield and purchased a pleasant home at No. 816 East Edwards street, where she and her children now reside. She is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal church of Springfield and Mr. Miller was also a devoted adherent of the same denomination.