RUSSELL O. RIDDLE. - Among those who devote their time and energies to agricultural pursuits and are meeting with success in their chosen occupations is numbered Russell O. Riddle, who owns and operates a good farm of one hundred and fifteen acres on section 3, Clear Lake township. A native of Sangamon county, he was born in Williams township on the 17th of November, 1848, and is a son of Abner Riddle and a half-brother of Dr. Riddle, who sketch appears on another page of this volume. His mother, who was the second wife of Abner Riddle, bore the maiden name of Mary J. Clark and was a native of Williams township. Her father, Oramel Clark, came to this county from St. Lawrence county, New York, at an early day and carried on a blacksmith shop here.
In his native township Russell O. Riddle grew to manhood and is indebted to the district schools for the educational privileges he enjoyed in early life. He remained with his father until eighteen years of age and on leaving home in 1867 went to Kansas, where he purchased land and engaged in farming for four years. Returning to Sangamon county, he was married on his present farm in 1872 to Miss Sabra G. Constant, who was born and reared on that place, being a daughter of Rezin H. Constant. She is a half-sister of G. M. Constant, who is represented elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Riddle began their married life upon the farm where they still reside and to its cultivation and improvement out subject has since devoted his attention. Unto them have been born three children, namely: Mary Olive is now the wife of Clay Hussey, a farmer of Williams township and they have one son, Stewart. Luella H. is the wife of C. P. Hoke, of Williams township, and they have one daughter, Eveline. H. Clark, out subject's only son, is at home and assists his father in the work of the farm.
The Republican party has found in Mr. Riddle a stanch supporter of its principles since he cast his first presidential vote for Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876 and he has taken quite an active and influential part in local politics. For six years he served as commissioner of highways and for four years was a member of the county board of supervisors, serving on a number of important committees during that time. He was chairman of the committee on house and grounds. He is now filling the office of township school trustee and has been an efficient member of the school board for eighteen years, being clerk of the district most of the time. His estimable wife is a member of the Christian church at Barclay and he belongs to Riverton Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and also to the Knights of Pythias Lodge at Barclay, in which he filled all the chairs and is now past chancellor. He also represented the lodge in the grand lodge on eight different occasions and is
a member of fraternal insurance orders. He is one of the representative and prominent citizens of his community and is popular in social circles, being pleasant and genial in manner.