WILLIAM C. ROBINSON - That W. C. Robinson occupied an enviable position in the regard of those who knew him was due to the fact that he always did well what his hand found to do and his relations with his fellow men were ever prompted by a sense of conscientious obligation. A machinist by trade, he was for several years foreman of the engine manufacturing plant of A. L. Ide & Sons, of Springfield, and thus became well known in the business circles of the city.
Mr. Robinson was born in Battle Creek, Michigan, September 20, 1855, a son of William and Harriet (Dolph) Robinson. The father, a blacksmith and carriage maker, still resides in Battle creek, but is now living a retired life. His wife died in that city. William C. Robinson, reared under the parental roof, acquiring his education in the schools of that city, pursuing the high school course, and when he had put aside his text books he learned the machinist's trade. He afterward went to Chicago, where he worked at his trade for a few years and then removed to North Dakota, where he was employed in the same capacity until his removal to Brainerd, Minnesota. Again he worked as a machinist, gaining greater capability through broader and more varied experience. He was married in Brainerd and afterward removed to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he worked at his trade for a year. The succeeding two years and a half were spent in Stillwater, Minnesota, and in 1885 he removed to Springfield and accepted the position of foreman with A. L. Ide & Sons, taking charge of their plant. He was for several years the head machinist there, in fact continued in the position throughout his remaining days and was one of their most trusted representatives, most friendly relations being maintained between Mr. Robinson and the members of the firm.
While in Brainerd, Minnesota, Mr. Robinson was married to Miss Emma L. Means, who was born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, April 7, 1859, a daughter of Samuel Wiley and Mary (McFadden) Means, both of whom were natives of the Keystone state. Her father was a carpenter and contractor and followed the business for many years, but ultimately lived retired in Springfield until his death, which occurred June 9, 1898. His wife is also deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson had no children of their own, but reared nine, who were children of two of Mrs. Robinson's sisters. Some are now married and some deceased and only one is now living with Mrs. Robinson - Miss Edna Elizabeth Vane, a daughter of T. H. and Lizzie (Means) Vane. Her father was for many years an engineer of Springfield.
Mr. Robinson was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Improved Order of Red Men, Pocahontas Lodge and the Royal Neighbors, all of Springfield. He gave his political allegiance to the Republican party and with his wife was a member of the First Congregational church of Springfield for thirteen years. He died suddenly January 18, 1904, leaving his widow in very comfortable circumstances, owing to his diligence, energy and careful management through the years of his active business career. Mrs. Robinson now owns and occupies a pleasant home at No. 1528 North Fourth street.