Transcribed by Mary Ann Kaylor
BAXTER, ALBERT CRUM, A. B., M. D. - The science of medicine and surgery has advanced to such an extent, during the past several decades that the older members of the profession have given way, in a large degree, to the younger generation, whose youth and enthusiasm enable them better to keep abreast of the times. Among the young physicians and surgeons of Springfield, one who has already made his name well known in his chosen calling, is Dr. Albert Crum Baxter, born October 9, 1880, at Literberry, Morgan County, Ill., a son of Hiram Bennett and Ellen (Crum) Baxter.
The progenitor of the Baxter family in America, James Baxter, came from County Tyrone, Ireland, about the time of the American Revolution, settling at Pittsburg, Pa. He there married Rebecca Riddle, a native of Berlin, Germany, thus forming a union of two races, which was bound to produce worthy and sturdy stock. The elder James Baxter, after a short stay in Pennsylvania, moved to Ohio, settling where the city of Dayton now stands, and there the grandfather of Dr. Baxter, William Baxter, was born, August ;1, 1804. About the year 1815, the Baxter family, consisting of the parents, three sons and one daughter, came down the Ohio River on a flat-boat, and settled in the wilderness at or near Madison, Ind. Here, in 1828, William Baxter married Jane Kerr, a lady of Scotch parentage, daughter of Josiah Kerr, whose parents had migrated to Indiana about the same time as the Baxter family. The young couple began housekeeping in the wilds of southern Indiana, in a one-room, one-story, round log house, with one door and one window, and a puncheon floor, a stick-and-mud chimney, the whole structure being erected without a nail, and the roof held in place by weights and poles, and the door with wooden pins. In this primitive dwelling, they lived many years and prospered, and eventually were able to erect a commodious stone house, the material for which, was selected from quarries on their land, and this abode is still in a good state of repair. William Baxter and his wife, were parents of ten sons and two daughters, seven of their sons serving in the Union Army and are living. The sixth son, Hiram Bennett Baxter, was born September 22, 1840, enlisted as a private in Company K, Twenty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Before being mustered out of service, in 1865, he had, by his gallantry in action, won the rank of Captain. He took part in all the battles fought by the Army of The Cumberland, and his company was in the front rank in the March to the Sea. He was twice wounded during his service. The Baxter's had a remarkable record, being the only family in the County who sent seven sons for service, no two of whom were in the same regiment, and no two of whom participated in the same battle.
In December, 1866, Hiram B. Baxter came to Illinois, and settled in Morgan County, where he taught school, kept a general store in the town of Literberry, and filled contracts with a railroad company. In 1881, he began farming at Ashland, where he has since continued, and it is interesting to note that he is now the owner of 1,720 acres of fine farming land, in great contrast his condition in early life. Although a member of no religious denomination, he is a liberal contributor to all worthy causes. While in business at Literberry, Mr. Baxter was married October 4, 1876, to Lydia Ellen Crum, daughter of Abram Alvin Crum, of that place. Her parents and paternal grandparents, came from Kentucky and southern Indiana to Illinois, at an early day, settling in Morgan County when land there could be bought of the Government for $1.25 per acres. Her maternal grandparents, the Buchanan's, and Liters, were of English and German origin, having first settled in Virginia, later moved to Kentucky, and came to Illinois about the same time as the Crums, in 1832. Mrs. Baxter died March 26, 1907, having been the mother of two sons: Dr. Albert Crum and William Abram, the later now living with his son on a farm in Cass County.
Albert Crum Baxter first attended the district school, and in 1897, entered Whipple Academy at Jacksonville, being graduated there from, with the Class of 1900, when he entered the Literary Department of Illinois College. In 1903, he took up the study of literature and medicine in the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, being graduated from the Literary Department in June, 1904, with degree of Bachelor of Art, and in 1907, from the Department of Medicine and Surgery. While in college, he was a member of the Phi Beta Pi Fraternity, of the Gynecological Staff, and of the Phagocytes, an honorary medical society. During the summer and fall of 1906, Dr. Baxter was connected with the Morgan Hospital, of New York City, and in the winter of 1907, he came to Springfield and engaged in general practice, having a fully equipped and well appointed office at 511 ½ East Monroe Street. Dr. Baxter is a member of St. Paul's lodge, No. 500, A.F. & A. M.; Springfield Chapter No. 1; Springfield Council No. 2; Elmwood Commandery No. 6; Sangamon Lodge of Perfection; Princes of Jerusalem; and Chapter of Rose Croix, of the Masonic fraternity. He is also connected with the American Chemical Society; the Sangamon, Illinois and American Medical Societies, and McLellan Camp, Sons of Veterans. In political matters, he is a Republican.
On April 15, 1908, at Beacon, Mich., Dr. Baxter was united marriage with Miss Ethel J. Mitchell, a native of Michigan, and daughter of Joseph and Jane (Wassley) Mitchell, natives of England.