BOYNTON, ERVIN D., general farmer and stock man, whose business ability is universally recognized the county over, is one of the most representative men of Sangamon. He was born December 15, 1858, on Section 30, Cartwright Township, near his present home on Section 18 of the same township. His parents were Charles and Paulina (De Mary) Boynton. The father was born in Westfield, Vt., June 3, 1822, and when only eight years old lost his parents so he made his home with an uncle, receiving only a district school education. When he reached his majority, Mr. Boynton left Vermont, coming direct to Springfield, where he spent but a short time, locating in Cartwright Township in 1843. Working by the month until he had saved some money, he bought a sawmill, selling it at a profit. He then bought and sold several others, the last one being disposed of after he had hauled it to Mr. Pleasant, Ia. He then invested in 160 acres of land in Cartwright Township, paying $3 per acre for it, and embarked in the business of buying and selling cattle. When the cattle were ready for market, he drove them to St. Louis or to Buffalo, N.Y. On September 8, 1850, he married, he and his wife commencing their housekeeping in a very primitive manner, but because of economy and good management, they soon became very prosperous. Mr. Boynton lived on this farm until his death, which occurred April 2, 1897. At this time he owned 1,000 acres of land, in addition to the 200 acres he had given each of his children. He was an active member and Deacon of the Baptist Church of Berlin. In politics he was first a Whig and later a Republican. Always bearing his full part in public matters, he was one of the representative older farmers of Sangamon County. His widow survives, making her home with Ervin D. Boynton and her daughter, Mrs. Warren, of Berlin. She is a most loveable lady, who has attained the age of eighty-three years, and is still very active in the Baptist Church. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Boynton, of whom two survive, Mr. Boynton, and Ella, wife of C. B. Warren, a banker of New Berlin. He is connected with the Warren-Boynton Bank of New Berlin, one of the strongest banking institutions of the county.
Ervin D. Boynton, attended district school and Brown's Business College of Jacksonville, and then returned to the farm, where he assisted his father. On November 18, 1880, he married Kate L. Carrington, of Riverton, Iowa, born in New Berlin, November 27, 1860, daughter of Wesley and Cassie (Grant) Carrington, natives of Kentucky, whose families were early settlers of Illinois. Mrs. Boynton's grandfather was a cousin of General Grant. Mr. Carrington moved to Riverton, but later went to Missouri, where he died, but his widow survives, living with her daughter, Mrs. Robert Oder, of Oklahoma. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Boynton settled on their farm on Section 18, Cartwright Township, on which they have made many excellent improvements, developing it into one of the finest properties in the county. They have a beautiful home with all modern improvements, including hot and cold water, hot water heat and electric lights. The barns and other out-buildings are in like modern condition, and here they enjoy life surrounded by city conveniences. Eight children have been born to them: Lora, born October 3, 1881, married R. Gardner, a contractor and builder of Arapahoe, Okla.; Delia, born December 30, 1884, married H. Clyde Irvin on December 8, 1909, he being a farmer near Scranton, Ia.; Charles S., born October 3, 1886, married Lela Zane of Pleasant Plains, daughter of Robert H. Zane, a ketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work; Ben B., born October 1, 1888, taking a six years' course in the law department of Ann Arbor, Mich., a most brilliant student, possessing every requisite for a prosperous future; Edgar D., born December 14, 1890 at home; J. Farman, born November 21, 1893; Ruben R., born October 30, 1896, and Rhenna L., born May 16, 1899. The older children have been carefully educated and Mr. Boynton plans to pursue the same course with regard to the younger ones.
For many years Mr. Boynton has been actively engaged in feeding and shipping stock, his annual shipment being about 500 head of cattle, but recently he has been leaving much of the details to his sons. In his home was put the first telephone in this part of the county, he having helped to organize the Boynton Telephone Co., in 1901. The company started with only forty patrons, but now have about 1,000, and the service is as nearly perfect as it is possible for any to be. He was also one of the organizers of the Building and Loan Co. of Pleasant Plains, of which he was President for several years. The Warren and Boynton State Bank, of New Berlin, was another enterprise in which he has been largely interested, helping to organize it in 1897 and serving as its President. This bank does a general banking business and is a very reliable institution. C. B. Warren is Cashier. Mr. Boynton owns 1,066 acres of land, all in Cartwright Township, which is highly developed. He has always advocated improvements and cheerfully paid the large increase in his taxes resulting from their inauguration. For fifty-two years he has made his home in Cartwright Township and is very much attached to it. Fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Court of Honor, D.O.K.K.'s and the Modern Woodmen of America. Politically he is a stanch Republican, and was the first of his party to be elected Supervisor form his township. He held this office for four years but since then has declined public office. In 1881, he was elected School Director, made Clerk of the Board, and for twenty-nine years has continued to give his services to his district, advocating the payment of good wages, and the erection of substantial school houses. Mr. and Mrs. Boynton are members of the Pleasant Plains Baptist Church, and have many friends in it as they have all over the county.