DAVIDSON, GEORGE W. - One of the most prominent farmers of Sangamon County, Ill., is George W. Davidson, who is always ready to lend his influence and services to any public enterprise in his community, or to help those in trouble or need. Mr. Davidson was born in Ball Township, Sangamon County, March 12, 1855, son of Samuel and Amanda (Knuckles) Davidson whose biography appears on another page of this work.
In boyhood George W. Davidson attended Oak Ridge School in Pawnee Township, and lived at home until he was thirty years of age. He then began farming on his own account and has been very successful. He bought and shipped stock for many years, and has been enterprising and progressive in his operations, being a man of excellent business judgment. He is very found of fox hunting and outdoor sports of all kinds, and spends many of his hours of leisure in this diversion. He has traveled but little, being very fond of home and devoted to his family. He now owns 410 acres of fine farming land on Section 10 of Divernon Township, and carries on general farming, besides caring for his other business interests. He is a stockholder in the Divernon Grain Elevator Company.
Mr. Davidson was married in St. Louis, Mo., October 22, 1888, by Rev. Matthews, to Ann E. Shepherd, born in Sangamon County, December 12, 1862, daughter of Thomas B. and Arminda (Pyle) Shepherd, the former a native of Maryland and the latter born in St. Clair County, Ill., October 13, 1838, died in Sangamon County, January 30, 1907, being buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Springfield. Mr. Shepherd has retired from active life and lives in Pawnee. Mr. Davidson and his wife have three children, namely: Flossie L., born August 18, 1889; Lelia F., December 3, 1891; and George S., April 15, 1907, all at home. Mrs. Davidson is one of three children, the others being: Thomas A., the oldest, a prominent farmer of Sangamon County, married Marian M. Weber and they have three children - Stella M., George W. and Charles R.; Mary E., married Charles W. Anderson, who died in March, 1901, and she now lives in Pawnee and has two children - Leslie C. and Nellie S. Mr. Davidson was one of nine children, of whom four are deceased.
In politics Mr. Davidson is a Democrat, but usually votes for the man rather than for party. He has served as Road Commissioner and School Director. Fraternally he belongs to Court of Honor, No. 334 and to the Odd Fellows Lodge No. 200, at Divernon. He and his family are earnest members of the Methodist church and active in church and benevolent work.