ELSHOFF, ANTON, of Springfield, one of the leading grocers of this part of the State, was born in that city, May 27, 1867, a son of Henry and Frances Elshoff. In 1864 Henry Elshoff came to Springfield, where his death occurred in January 1900. His wife died in June, 1896, during a pleasure trip in Germany.
Anton Elshoff was educated in the parish school and later graduated from Springfield Business College. After leaving school he entered his father's grocery store, in 1879, and has continued in this line ever since. Gradually he has built up his present business house, located at the corner of Eleventh and Cook Streets, where for thirty-one years he has met the demands of his customers.
On May 25, 1892, Mr. Elshoff was married to Katie E. Morrison, at St. Mauritius Church, by the Rev. George J. Blatter, in Chicago, Ill. Mrs. Elshoff is the daughter of Stephen B. and Margaret (Crowe) Morrison.
In 1893 Mr. Elshoff was elected a member of the Sangamon County Board of Supervisors, serving two years. In 1903 he was appointed a member of the Springfield Board of Education, serving three years, and in 1906 was reappointed, serving three more years, and in 1911 he was elected by the people to serve again on the Board of Education.
Mr. Elshoff is a member of the Business Men's Association. He also belongs to the Western Catholic Union, of which organization he was a Supreme Director for several years. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Loyal Americans, Lincoln Centennial Association, and is a popular member of the Knights of Columbus. All his life he has been a consistent member of the Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception.