FERRY, GEORGE P. - The land of Sangamon County, Ill., being peculiarly adapted for grazing purposes, it is only natural that there should be many farmers in the county giving much of their attention to the breeding of fine cattle and horses, and some of the finest stock to be found at the livestock fairs held all over the country comes from this section of Illinois. One of Sangamon County's farmers is George P. Ferry, who conducts a general farm on Section 3, Cartwright Township. Mr. Ferry was born on Section 13, in this township, May 10, 1862, and is a son of Thomas H. and Loretta (Perrin) Ferry, natives of St. Lawrence County, N.Y.
Thomas H. Ferry, who was reared in St. Lawrence County, N.Y., made a trip to Sangamon County, Ill., in 1846, and there bought land. He had first married Maria Lamphier, by whom he had one son, O. E. Ferry, now a prominent retired farmer of Eldorado, Kan., and after the death of his first wife he returned to New York, where he was again married and returned to Sangamon County in 1858. He located on his farm in Cartwright Township, turned his attention to the cultivation of his land, and became one of the leading agriculturists of his day. Mr. Ferry was a man loved for his integrity of character and his many sterling qualities and was a devout church member, giving liberally of his means for the support of the Presbyterian Church. He was called to his final rest January 4, 1899, his wife surviving him until June 25, 1905. To them there were born four children, of whom two died in infancy, the other two being George P. and John T., the latter a farmer in Cartwright Township.
George P. Ferry obtained his education in the district schools of Cartwright Township and at the age of sixteen years was given charge of the home farm, on account of the serious illness of his father. At the time of the latter's death, the home farm was divided, and George P. remained on his share of the property until March, 1902, when he sold this land and invested in 242 acres on Sections 3 and 10, Cartwright Township. Mr. Ferry has given particular attention to the breeding of fine horses, of which he has a large number on his farm. He is a lover of and an acknowledged judge of horses, being always willing and ready to pay a fair and honest price for a good horse. A man of honesty and integrity, his customers are always sure of a fair and square deal, and as a result his dealings have been far above the ordinary.
On December 22, 1887, Mr. Ferry was married to Miss Louella Durand, who died September 20, 1899, without issue. On February 20, 1907, he was married to Miss Mary A. Smith, and to his union there have been born two children: Lena L., born December 7, 1907, and Mary Frances, born July 10, 1909.
Mr. Ferry has always taken a prominent part in all public enterprises and has been a leader in every movement that has promised to be of benefit to his community. He has been a supporter of the principles of the Republican party, but has steadily refused to accept public office. Although a member of no religious denomination, he is a liberal supporter of all creeds. Mrs. Ferry is a member of the Baptist Church. In his fraternal affiliations Mr. Ferry is connected with the Masonic Lodge No. 700 and the Modern Woodmen of America, both of Pleasant Plains. His business interests have taken him all over the county, and he enjoys the respect and esteem of all who have come into contact with him, whether in a business or a social way.