FLETCHER, FRANCIS D., M.D., a prominent physician located in the village of Auburn, Ill., is well known in that vicinity, where his entire life has been spent, with the exception of a few years spent at college. He belongs to a family that has been well known in Sangamon County since 1830, when his great-grandfather, John Fletcher, settled on a farm in Ball Township. Dr. Fletcher is a son of Benjamin F. and Mary (Drennan) Fletcher, natives of Ball Township. The family history is given further in the sketch of B. F. Fletcher, appearing in a previous section of this work.
Dr. Fletcher is a native of Ball Township, born March 7, 1879, and was reared on his father's farm, attending the district school until he was sixteen years of age, when he entered Lincoln University, taking a three year course in literature. In 1898 he entered Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis, where he spent one year, in 1899, he entered Rush Medical College at Chicago, graduating with the class of 1902, and in the fall of that year engaged in practice at Chatham. He was well fitted for his work and soon built up a gratifying practice. He was already known to a most of his patients and had their confidence and respect. He has a well-equipped office and has won a good standing in the community.
October 24, 1904, Dr. Fletcher married Leona A. Nuckolls, born in Auburn, Ill., daughter of J. T. and Martha Nuckolls. Mr. Nuckolls is a member of a pioneer family and formerly carried on farming, but is now a retired and honored citizen of Auburn. Dr. Fletcher is a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 523, of Chatham, also of the M.W.A., and his wife is a member of the O.E.S. He casts his ballot with the Republican party and takes a commendable interest in public affairs.