GIBSON, JOHN T., a retired teamster living just outside the city of Springfield, is a veteran of the Civil War and is well known as a useful, public-spirited citizen. He was born in Hamilton, Ohio, son of Hiram and Mary Ann (Miller) Gibson, the father born in Kentucky, in 1818, and the mother in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1820. Hiram Gibson was a blacksmith by trade and he and his wife came to Illinois in 1858, settling at Greenup, Cumberland County, Ill., where they lived two years, then located at Charleston, Coles County, where the father died in 1863, being buried at that place. Mrs. Gibson moved to Vandalia, Ill., in the spring of 1866, lived there fourteen years, then moved to Springfield and lived there until her death, in 1891. She is buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery.
The education of John T. Gibson was received in the public schools of Illinois, and the first one he attended was held in a log building. He lived at home until the death of his father. In 1862 Mr. Gibson enlisted in Company A, Fifth Illinois Cavalry, remaining two months in Camp Butler, January 15, 1863, they left for Pilot Knob, Mo., where they joined their regiment. Their first serious engagement was at Vicksburg, and they spent about sixty days on this campaign. After the surrender of Pemberton, July 4, 1863, the moved on to Big Black River, where they took part in a fight, spent a short time at Champion Hills, and had a three days' engagement at Jackson, Miss. They went on to Meridian, then came back to Vicksburg and spent about two months there, went on to Memphis, Tenn., where they remained about two months, then went on to Natchez, Miss., where there was some skirmishing. At the close of the Meridian campaign they went to Alexandria, La., thence to Hempstead, Tex., where they remained a couple of months, then got orders to be mustered out and returned to Camp Butler, Ill., where they received their honorable discharge in October, 1865. Mr. Gibson served ably and faithfully and was never captured, but was wounded at the Battle of Big Black River and spent three months in the hospital. Upon his return, at the close of the war, he engaged in teaming and built up a good business. He now lives retired in his home at the northeastern limits of Springfield. He is a member of the presbyterian Church and in Politics is a Republican. In 1909 he was elected to the office of Constable of Springfield Township. He was born May 23, 1848, and was only a boy when he enlisted in the service of his country.
Mr. Gibson was married at Charleston, Ill., October 26, 1866, to Miss Mary E. Bartholomew, who was born in Hocking County, Ohio, March 2, 1844, daughter of David and Rachel Bartholomew, who came to Illinois in 1859. Mrs. Gibson's father died in 1876 and her mother in 1902, and both are buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Springfield. They first settled at Greenup, Cumberland County. They had eleven children, of whom four are now living. Five children were born to Mr. Gibson and his wife, two sons and three daughters, namely: Ida May, born July 10, 1867, wife of Frank Wilder, who is employed at Striffler's ice Plant, Springfield, where he has worked the past six years, and four children died young. Mr. Wilder and his wife have one child, Biddy Bell, born November 12, 1900.