GLEASON, JAMES M. - The grocery trade of Springfield is rapidly developing into one of the most important branches of industrial activity there. The demand for food stuffs is growing, and careful housewives, recognizing the necessity for careful marketing, owing to advanced prices and the increased cost of living, are directing their attention to those grocers upon whom they can depend, not only for fair prices, but for good material. No longer do they buy blindly, taking no heed as to quality. Investigations have shown her of the dangers that lurk in imperfectly prepared foods and she demands the best. One of the men who has proven himself able to cope with these existing conditions, and to earn a fair profit for himself, is James M. Gleason, of No. 1000 North Fourteenth Street.
Mr. Gleason was born at Cantrall, Ill., in 1883, being a son of Matthew and Margaret (Moore) Gleason, both of whom are now deceased. Mr. Gleason was educated in the public schools of his native place and, leaving school at the age of sixteen years, stored up vitality by working on the home farm until he came to Springfield in 1902. He established himself in the grocery business at the corner of Fourteenth and Jefferson Streets, in 1902, and successfully carried it on until 1906, when he built his present store, to which he transferred his stock. As yet he is unmarried. His religious connections are with St. Joseph's Catholic Church, of which he is a consistent member. In political faith he is a strong Democrat. Energetic, hard working, a good buyer and understanding thoroughly the possibilities of his business, Mr. Gleason is giving his customers an excellent service and growing in popularity.