HUNTER, WILLIAM D., an enterprising young farmer and a business man of sound judgment, has recently purchased a fine farm in Section 12, Loami Township, Sangamon County, Ill., which he is stocking with high-grade cattle and hogs. Mr. Hunter has virtually had charge of his own affairs since he was twelve years of age, his father having died before he was born, and in this way he has acquired a degree of acumen and clear-sightedness not usually possessed by a man of his years. Mr. Hunter is a native of Sangamon County, born in Chatham Township, July 10, 1882, a son of George W. and Rachel Caroline (Campbell) Hunter, the former a native of Auburn Township, Sangamon County, and the latter of Chatham Township. A sketch of the father, to be found elsewhere in this volume, contains further history of the family.
The boyhood of William B. Hunter was spent on a farm and, after attending the district schools, he spent three years in the public schools of Springfield and took a course of six months in bookkeeping. After leaving school eh went to live with his grandfather, Peter C. Campbell, and at the age of twelve years was entrusted with the responsibility of drawing a check against the bank account of the latter for personal expenses and given a voice of the transaction of all business in which he had a personal interest through property inherited by him. He remained on the farm until he was sixteen years of age, during that time superintending much of his grandfather's business, writing the leases of land which was rented out and on his own responsibility looking after large land interests.
August 31, 1909, Mr. Hunter married Miss Catherine Ramsey, who was born on the edge of Springfield, July 26, 1888, a daughter of Christopher M. and Catherine (Baskim) Ramsey, her father being deceased while the mother is still a resident of Springfield. Mr. Ramsey passed away June 4, 1909. He and his wife had four sons and one daughter, namely: Robert, of Springfield; Joseph and Chester, twins, the latter deceased; John, at home, and Mrs. Hunter. At the time of his marriage Mr. Hunter had sold his stock and prepared a pretty home on Allen Street, Springfield, for his bride, but after they had occupied it about six months, both decided they preferred country life. In February, 1910, he purchased his present farm of fifty-three acres, in the northeast quarter of Section 12, Loami Township, for which he paid $208 per acre, the highest price ever paid for land in that vicinity. This is a well improved and fertile farm and Mr. Hunter plans adding to its attractiveness and productiveness as time goes on. He is a most enterprising and energetic farmer and has made a special study of scientific methods and modern ideas. He is stocking his farm with Poland-China hogs and Jersey and Holstein cows. He has selected this breed of hogs after much deliberation, and his choice has been due to their superior quality as a food product and their early fitness for the market. He pays high prices in order to secure the best quality of stock for the market, is commended for his excellent judgment in embarking in this very profitable industry and holds a high reputation for honest dealing and integrity in business transactions. He owns 525 acres of land, a large part of it being in Sections 7 and 8, of Chatham Township.
Mr. Hunter is a member of the Christian Church, while his wife is a communicant of St. Paul's Pro-Cathedral in Springfield. In politics he is a Democrat, is popular among his neighbors and has many friends in various parts of Sangamon County.