All Rights Reserved  © Copyright 2000 All material contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. We have tried to use images that were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.


Chicago: Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers 1912

This biography was submitted by a researcher and are abstracted from the above named publication.. Errors could occur, so one should always verify the correctness by obtaining copies of vitals and performing all necessary research to document what is contained herein.

Page 1363

KENNEY, JOHN, now living retired from active life in his comfortable home at 1113 North Ninth Street, Springfield, has resided there the past thirty-two years, and until recently was identified with mining interests in Sangamon County. He was born in County Galway, Ireland, June 24, 1845, a son of Timothy and Ella (Broderick) Kenney, both natives of that county, the father born in 1806 and died in 1881, and the mother born in 1815. The father was a farmer by occupation and both parents spent their entire lives in their native country. They had children as follows: Thomas J., a sketch of whom appears in these pages; Michael, of Pittsburg, Pa.; John died at the age of two and one-half years; Patrick died at the age of one year; Patrick (2), of St. Louis; John, of this sketch; Timothy, of Pittsburg; Jane, wife of Michael Connors, of Australia.

Mr. Kenney received his education in the schools near his boyhood home and his first work was performed on his father's farm. He came to America in 1865 and one year later located in Sangamon County, where he has since made his home. He was connected with various mining interests in the county until 1911, when he retired. His present house was erected thirty-two years ago, in September, 1879, and he also owns two other residences in the same block on North Tenth Street, which he also erected.

Mr. Kenney was married at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, by Father Brady, May 8, 1878, to Miss Mary Welch, born in Ireland, daughter of Patrick and Bridget (Hogan) Welch, natives of County Limerick. Mr. Welch was born in 1821 and still resides in his native place. Mrs. Welch was born in 1825 and died at the age of thirty-five years. Their only child was Mrs. Kenney, and she died March 26, 1890, having borne her husband one child, Timothy, born in Springfield, in 1879, now residing at Champaign, Ill. Mr. Kenney was married (second) at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Springfield, by Rev. Father Ryan, April 8, 1894, to Hannah Barry, who was born in Springfield May 9, 1848, daughter of John and Catherine Barry, natives of County Clare, who came to Sangamon County in an early day. She is one of three children, the others being; Bridget, wife of Martin Mahoney, of Menard County, and Catherine, of Springfield. Mrs. Kenney is the second child. Mr. and Mrs. Kenney are members of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church and he is affiliated with the Catholic Order of Foresters and the Loyal Americans. In politics he is a Democrat. He is recognized as a useful, public-spirited citizen and has a large circle of friends.

Return to 1912 Biography Index

Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb