MARSHALL, SAMUEL HENRY , a retired hotel man of Springfield, was connected with the old Central House, of which he was the owner, and which he conducted for many years under the name of the American House. When he was its host, it was a general stopping place for the noted statesmen who flocked to Springfield, making this hostelry their headquarters. Mr. Marshall was born September 13, 1846, at Abbotstown, Adams County, Pa., son of Henry Marshall, also a native of Pennsylvania, born about 1821, and died in 1901. He bought 140 acres in York County, Pa., near the Adams County line, and there his death occurred. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary Farland, also pf Pennsylvania. Her death occurred on the home farm in 1887, when she was seventy-two years old. She and her husband were Lutherans and he was a Republican. The children born to them were: Martha married Nathaniel Burkheimer and died three months after marriage on the home farm; Samuel Henry; Amelia, wife of George Dull, of Thomasville, York County, Pa.; Anna; Rush a farmer of Iowa; Herman died in 1902 in York County; Alice, of York County; and Henry, of Hanover. The family is of German origin, the Grandfather Marshall having been a native of the country.
Samuel Henry Marshall was a year old when his father moved to York County, and grew up on the farm there, attending the country school a portion of the year until he was sixteen years old. Until he attained his majority he remained upon the farm, but then went to York, where for two years he was interested in a bakery. Selling this, he bought a livery business and operated it for two years more. In 1876 he again sold, and for a short time bought horses for the market. Coming to Springfield at the close of that year, he entered the produce business on East Adams Street, but two years later moved to North Sixth Street. In 1879 he became proprietor of the Central House, operating it until the building was sold to make way for the present imposing business block which was erected on its historic site. Mr. Marshall then operated the Corrigan House on East Adams Street for nine years, changing its name to Marshall House. Following this sale, Mr. Marshall returned to Pennsylvania for a visit. Upon his return he purchased his present home, and has since live retired, having been thirty years in the hotel business, twenty years of which was spent in one place. He is a Lutheran in religious faith. Active in political affairs, he served as Alderman from the Seventh Ward during 1884 and 1885, and was efficient in that office.
Mr. Marshall was married in York, Pa., in 1876, to Miss Elizabeth Shellenberger, of York County, a daughter of Joseph Shellenberger. They had one daughter, Jessie, who died at the age of twenty-five years.