MUNROE, GRAFTON, D.D.S. - One of the representative dentists of Springfield is Dr. Grafton Munroe, who is pleasantly situated at No. 304 Ferguson Building, corner of Sixth and Monroe Streets, while his residence is at No. 1300 North Fifth Street. He was born at Annapolis, Md., August 5, 1863, a son of James and Matilda Rebecca (Walter) Munroe.
Dr. Munroe is a graduate of St. John's College of Annapolis, Md., Class of 1882, degree of A.B. The further degree of A.M. was conferred on him by the same school in 1890. His dental training was obtained in the University of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in 1885, with a degree of D.D.S. He also graduated from Edward H. Angle School of Orthodontia, of St. Louis, Mo. 1900. From the time of his graduation until 1888, Dr. Munroe practiced dentistry at Annapolis, Md., and then moved to Springfield, Ill., which has since been his home. There he has built up a large and constantly growing practice, some of his patients having been with him all these years.
On October 2, 1890, Dr. Munroe was united in marriage, at Springfield, Ill., with Bettie Jane Brown. Three children have been born of this marriage: Ogden Brown, Frances Josephine, and Grafton, Jr. (deceased). In national matters, Dr. Munroe is a Republican, but in local affairs he votes for the man he thinks will best fill the office. He was brought up a Methodist, but later became a Presbyterian, and now is a supporter of that church.
Dr. Munroe is one of the solid men of Springfield, whose example tends to elevate the tone of the community. He has many warm, personal friends here, and is justly recognized as one of the leaders in his profession in Sangamon County. He is the author of the article in this work entitled "The history of Dental Surgery in Springfield and Sangamon County."