PIPER, CARL FREDERICK WILLIAM, one of the representative old residents of Springfield, has lived in his present comfortable home for forty-three years. He owns 267 feet deep with a fifty foot frontage, and his yard is a source of much pleasure to him. His house was among the first to be built in his neighborhood, but when first erected contained only two rooms. In these he reared his children, but as his means increased he added another story, so that he now has four rooms. He was born in Prussia, May 17, 1834, a son of Daniel Piper, a grocer and wholesale dealer, and a man of considerable means in the Province of Brandenburg.
Until he was fourteen years old, Carl Frederick William Piper attended school, but at that age began driving a team, continuing teaming until he came to the United States, at the age of twenty-four years. He sailed from Hamburg and landed in Quebec, six weeks being consumed in the passage. He came direct to Springfield, where he joined his brother Frederick, and immediately obtained work in the construction of Andrew Kuhn's brewery. When this was completed, he worked on several farms. On October 23, 1864, he married Albertina Wilhelmina (Dahlman) Dauphin, widow of Philip Dauphin. Following his marriage, Mr. Piper began hauling sand and coal, being the first teamster in the city to haul the latter. In 1876, Mr. Piper secured some of the teaming for the Elevator Mill Company, and for thirty-one years he thus continued. Following this he was employed as a laborer in Washington Park. Mrs. Piper passed away, November 21, 1910, her remains being tenderly interred at Oak Ridge Cemetery. In 1862, when the German Lutheran Church of this city had but twelve members, Mrs. Piper joined it, and continued faithful in its good work until her death. Both she and Mrs. Daniel Pfeiffer had the honor of being married in the old governor's mansion. Mrs. Piper was a domestic in the family of Mrs. C. M. Smith, a sister of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln, and proud of the fact that she cooked the last meal eaten by Mr. Lincoln just before he left for Washington for his inauguration, and that her hands prepared the lunch the great man took with him on the journey. Mrs. Piper had four children by her first marriage: Herman of Hot Springs, married Dorothy Goottenrath; Amelia, born in Farmingdale, Wis., January 10, 1863, married in Springfield in 1881, to Rev. J. C. Kaiser, pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, of Jonesville, Ind., issue - Hulda, Clara, Otto, Paul, Ruth, Olga, Carl; George and Fred, twins, the former in Petersburg, Ill., married Amelia Hageman, no issue, and the latter a car inspector, married Christina Droege, issue - Amelia, John, Carl, Ollie, Freda, Elmer and Walter. Mr. and Mrs. Piper had children as follows: Gustave of Cleveland, married Addie Hazel, issue - Edward, Viola, Ruth; Julius, at home; Henry, of Cleveland, married Louise Heiden, issue - Carl and Henry; Edith married William Walsh, issue - Gerald and George. Mrs. Walsh resides with her father.
During his many years' residence in Springfield, Mr. Piper has made true friends who appreciate his sterling traits of character. He has been thrifty, saving his earnings and investing them as a security for his old age, and is now enjoying his declining years, surrounded by the comforts his frugality has provided, and the love of his children and grandchildren.