All Rights Reserved  © Copyright 2000 All material contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. We have tried to use images that were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.


Chicago: Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers 1912

This biography was submitted by a researcher and are abstracted from the above named publication.. Errors could occur, so one should always verify the correctness by obtaining copies of vitals and performing all necessary research to document what is contained herein.

Page 1597

SCHEVERS, WILLIAM DAVID, who has recently purchased a blacksmith shop in Springfield, is a native of that city, born January 9, 1887, son of George Frederick William and Elizabeth (Walsh) Schevers, the former a native of Keokuk, Iowa, and the latter of Sangamon County, Ill., George F. W. Schevers came to Illinois as a boy and drove a grocery wagon for some time, then took up railroad work and was employed twenty-one years as railroad engineer. In 1894 on account of the strike on the Wabash road he left his line of work and became Assistant Fire Chief of Springfield, in which capacity he served two years, then purchased the Green Tree Hotel and conducted it nine years. In 1902 he became Chief of Springfield Fire Department and was killed by a train on the Illinois Central while responding to an alarm of fire, June 11, 1905.

William D. Schevers was reared in Springfield and attended St. Mary's Catholic School. He was always fond of hunting, fishing, driving, and all outdoor sports, from boyhood. After leaving school he worked one year as a bundle boy for Talbot & Hammond of Springfield. He later took up the trade of blacksmith and worked as journeyman nine years. June 1, 1910, he purchased the shoeing shop of W. T. Kirby, at 403 East Jefferson Street, which is known as headquarters for horse men, and has been enjoying a good trade. He is industrious and prosperous and has a good business reputation, being honest and reliable and giving good service to his patrons. He is ambitious to succeed financially and seems to have the requisite push and energy to build up his present enterprise to larger proportions.

Mr. Schevers was married, in Springfield, October 30, 1906, to Miss Gertrude E. Thomason, of Alden, Ill., daughter of Richard and Elizabeth A. Thomason, who came from England to Illinois many years ago and settled at Alden, where Mr. Thomason engaged in wall building in a mine and lost his life in this work, in 1874. Mr. Schevers and his wife have no children. They reside in 1522 Peoria Road, Springfield. Mr. Schevers is a master horse-shoer and an expert in his line.

Return to 1912 Biography Index

Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb