THOMPSON, FRANKLIN C., who owns a well developed farm on Section 5, Lanesville Township, Sangamon County, was born near Waverly, Pike County, Ohio, August 26, 1855, a son of Jefferson and Mary (Musstain) Thompson, both natives of Ohio, the former born in Guernsey County and the latter in Pike County. Jefferson Thompson is a cooper, having learned the trade after his marriage. He accompanied his father from his native county to Pike County, and there the family located on a farm. He was married there in 1854, and he and his wife now reside in Waverly, he aged seventy-seven, and she aged sixty-five years. They were parents of eight sons, of whom the two deceased were: the youngest son, Clifton, died in the Philippine Islands, while in the United States Government service, and James Sherman. Franklin is the oldest child surviving, the others being: David L., of Waverly, where he is a mechanic; William H., of Canal Dover, Ohio, a tinner by trade; John W., of Cleveland; Philip W.; and Charles of Arkansas. The paternal grandfather of Franklin C., David Thompson, emigrated from Virginia to Ohio, and his maternal grandparents also came from Virginia.
In boyhood Franklin C. Thompson worked on his father's farm and he received his education in the schools of Waverly. In 1880, he came to Sangamon County and settled on the farm of John Frey, his father-in-law, where he remained seven years, then sold out and spent a few months in Springfield, after which he purchased the farm he has since carried on. He owns 100 acres of land and during the twenty-one years, he has lived on it has brought it to a high state of cultivation. He has become prominent in public affairs in his community and has held several offices of honor and trust. He served three years as Road Commissioner, twelve years as School Director, and has been several times a member of the grand jury of the county. He is a Democrat in politics. He affiliates with the United Brethren Church, and fraternally, is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He is an industrious and practical farmer and stands well among his neighbors, having won their universal esteem and respect.
Mr. Thompson was married at Waverly, Ohio, September 8, 1878, to Miss Anna M., daughter of John Frey, who now resides at Buffalo, Ill. Her parents were early settlers of Sangamon County and the father (a sketch of whom appears in this work) owns considerable land there. Mrs. Thompson was born in Waverly, Ohio. To her and her husband, children were born as follows: Clinton M., Edward J., Bertha M., Esther L., and Harry B., living, and John W., Levina and Raymond deceased. Clinton M. married Miss Thursa Stubblefield, a native of the Christian County, and they now reside in Decatur, Ill. Mr. Thompson has been successful in his agricultural operations and has reared a family of whom he may well be proud. He is identified with the best interests of his community, and always ready to espouse any worthy object.