Transcribed by: Patty Gaddis
WEAVER, SAMUEL R. - The Weaver family has been well known in Sangamon County for more than half a century, and various members are given mention in this work. The reader is referred especially to that of William H. Weaver. Samuel R. Weaver is a native of Hagerstown, Md., born April 25, 1853, a son of Jonathan and Mary Ann Weaver, natives of that place and the father of a carpenter by trade. The father worked in his native town sometime before coming to Illinois. He first located at Mt. Morris and there he became a cabinet_maker and undertaker, and later brought his family to Springfield. He followed his trade in the city and helped erect some of the fine buildings of the early days there. Some of these buildings were handsome residences and among them was included the old Freeman residence. His brother, George Wise Weaver, was a mason by trade and assisted in erecting the State House. The latter was also from Maryland and made the trip to the new home with a wagon, as did his brother. Jonathan Weaver lived in Springfield about ten years and later engaged in farming in Cotton Hill Township, which he continued until his death, November 14, 1899. The mother died some years before the father. They were parents of five sons, of whom four now survive; William, the oldest, of Cotton Hill Township; Samuel R., whose name heads this sketch; John L., a farmer, who lives with his brother Samuel; James B., is a resident of Enid, Okla; George, who was the first born, is deceased. A brother of Jonathan, David Weaver, was a soldier in the Civil War and starved to death in Andersonville Prison.
In boyhood Mr. Weaver began working in the brick yard of John Lauterbach and also worked for Henry Miller. In this capacity he helped make some of the brick that went into the State House and also the home of the Friendless. He attended school during the winter months and most of his education was received in the old Third Ward School. Later he engaged in farming in Cotton Hill Township, near Grove City, and also near New City. He has forty acres of good farm land on Section 3 of Cotton Hill Township, where he has lived the past sixteen years, and has met with gratifying success in the enterprise. He is an energetic and practical farmer, as well as a good business man, and has the respect of the community where he lives. He takes an active interest in local affairs, is a Republican in political views, and is a useful and devout member of the Methodist Church.
Mr. Weaver was married in Springfield, March 3, 1883, to Elizabeth Deweese, who was born in Indiana in 1863, a daughter of David and Nancy Deweese. Her father was a farmer by occupation and came to Sangamon County at an early day. He is now living with a son of Christian County and the mother is deceased. They had children as follows: Charles, a farmer of Christian County; John, on a farm near Taylorville; Peter, living near Pawnee; Edward, deceased; Emma, the youngest of the family; Amanda, deceased; Mrs. Weaver, who died March 31, 1894. Mr. Weaver and wife had children as follows: Ottie, wife of Ray Runyon, of St. Louis, an employe of the Wabash Railroad Company; Flora E., married E. Jackson, a school teacher, who now lives at Houston, Tex, where he is a clerk in a railroad depot; Iva M., and Lottie Agnes, at home with their father. Mr. Weaver has spent most of his life in Sangamon County, where he has many friends. He well remembers hearing Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas speak on the spot now the site of the Springfield post office, when he was a small boy, and was greatly impressed by the event.