All Rights Reserved  © Copyright 2000 All material contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. We have tried to use images that were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.


Chicago: Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers 1912

This biography was submitted by a researcher and are abstracted from the above named publication.. Errors could occur, so one should always verify the correctness by obtaining copies of vitals and performing all necessary research to document what is contained herein.

Transcribed by: Patty Gaddis

Page 1696

WEAVER, WILLIAM H. - who owns and operates a farm in Section 3, Cotton Hill Township, Sangamon County, was born in Hagerstown, Md., February 1, 1850, a son of Jonathan and Mary Ann Weaver, natives of that place. In 1855 the parents came to Mt. Morris, Ill., and the father followed his trade of carpenter there until he came to the farm now occupied by his son William. The two men were living together at the time of the father's death, and had then spent but two years apart. He died November 14, 1899, and the mother some years before him, and both are buried at Oak Ridge Cemetery.

As a boy William H. Weaver began working in a brick yard during the summer months and spending the remainder of the year in school. Upon leaving school he was employed as clerk in the drug store of Thomas Owens, where he remained four years, and in 1869 he removed to his present place. He has been actively engaged in farming ever since and has been successful in his operations. He remembers seeing Douglas and Lincoln in Springfield. He has been a resident of Sangamon County most of his life and remembers the wigwam which stood on the present site of the post_office in Springfield. The Weaver family have been representative of the best interests of their community and have been highly respected as useful and desirable citizens. The father purchased 120 acres of land, which is now the property of William H. Weaver, who operates twenty_five acres of it. He has some of the best farming land in the county and it is well improved and equipped.

Mr. Weaver was married in Springfield April 18, 1882, to Julia A. Baker, who died December 16, 1893, and he married as his second wife, December 25, 1894, Rosetta Crowder, their union taking place at the home where they now reside. Mrs. Weaver's parents were natives of Illinois and both are deceased, her father having passed away in early life. By his first marriage Mr. Weaver had two sons: Charles F., born June 23, 1883, living on a farm near Glenarm; William A., born January 17, 1886, lives at home. By his second marriage he had children as follows: Bertha M., George E., Mary R., Vena R. Mr. Weaver is a Methodist and all the family are active members of that church. He is a Republican in politics. He stands well with his neighbors and has many warm friends in the county.

Return to 1912 Biography Index

Return to Sangamon County ILGenWeb