WILLIAMS, GEORGE W. (deceased), who spent most of his active life farming in Sangamon County, was a veteran of the Civil War and was honored and esteemed by all who knew him as a man of integrity and reliability. He was born in Steubenville, Ohio, September 7, 1842, and was a son of Thomas and Rachel (Jackson) Williams, the former a native of Ireland and the latter born in Maryland. Thomas Williams was brought to America at the age of five years, and after reaching a suitable age engaged in farming near Steubenville, remaining there forty years, then removed to Assumption, Ill., where he spent the remainder of his life. He purchased 360 acres of land in Christian County and there carried on farming with success, developing his farm and making many improvements in the way of buildings. There he and his wife both died, being buried in that vicinity. They were parents of three sons and a daughter; one son, Leander, is a telegraph operator and lives in Chicago; Andrew resides in Villisca, Iowa, where he is a successful farmer and extensively engaged in hog raising; George w., and the daughter is deceased and buried at Assumption, Ill.
In boyhood George W. Williams, attended the public schools of Steubenville, Ohio, and was reared on a farm, being early taught to perform his share of the work on his father's farm. He came with the family to Illinois at the time of the Civil War, and soon afterwards joined Company K, Fifth Ohio Cavalry, serving during the remainder of the war. He participated in many battles and was taken prisoner and confined some time in Libby Prison.
At the close of the war Mr. Williams returned to Assumtion, but soon afterwards removed to Sangamon County and engaged in farming, which occupation he continued the remainder of his life. He was industrious and progressive and brought his farm to a high state of cultivation. He owned land in Section 35, Curran Township, and had s comfortable home thereon. He had the good-will and esteem of his neighbors and was actively interested in the welfare of his community. He was well known in the neighborhood where he had lived so many years, and his loss was keenly felt in many circles. He was a devout member of the Methodist church, while Mrs. Williams belongs to the Christian Church at Loami.
The marriage of Mr. Williams took place in Jacksonville, Ill., October 3, 1878, when he was united with Louise, daughter of Samuel Wilson. Mrs. Williams was born near Jacksonville, in Morgan County. Mr. Wilson was born in Kentucky in 1813, and came to Morgan County at the age of thirteen years, becoming an influential and successful farmer there. He helped drive the first stakes when the village of Jacksonville was laid out. The land which he purchased there was worth but $1.25 per acre at that time, but so great has been the development of central Illinois since that it is now worth $200 per acre. Mr. Wilson died December 4, 1902, at the age of ninety years, and his wife, who was a native of Morgan County, died in 1856, being buried in the old Flynn graveyard. Seven sons and four daughters were born to this couple, and of these four sons and one daughter (Mrs. Williams) survive. Three sons, John, Elias and Robert, served during the Civil War, members of the Illinois Volunteer Infantry. A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Williams, Mae, now the wife of Frank Cloyd, and they live one mile north of Loami, being parents of five children - Lee, Millard, Grace I., Arthur F. and Russell H. An adopted son, Ralph Williams, born in Springfield, June 14, 1889, lives with his mother on the home farm. Mr. Williams died August 7, 1900 on the farm now occupied by his widow, and was buried in Chatham Cemetery.