Ancestor of Jana Darneille
James M. DARNEILLE - James M. Darneille, who died. in Chatham on the 5th of June, 1888 was identified with the agricultural interests of this county in early life, but at the time of his death was living retired. He was born here on the 22d of January, 1822 and was a son of John and Margaret (Norton) Darneille. The father was a native of either Virginia or Kentucky and was married in the latter state, of which his wife was a native. Coming to Sangamon county, Illinois, in 1819 , he located in Loami township, where he entered land and opened up a large farm, being the owner of over five hundred acres. In his family were eleven Children, all of whom reached years of maturity.
On the old home farm in Loami township James M. Darneille grew to manhood, his education being obtained in the schools of that neighborhood. He was married January 4, 1852, to Miss Clarissa Kinney, who was born and reared on the old Kinney homestead east of Loami. Her father, Henry Kinney, Jr., was a native of New York state and came to Illinois in 1820 with his father, Henry Kinney Sr. The former married Margaret Dorance, who was born near Geneva, New York, and was a daughter of Daniel Dorance who also came to this county in 1820. Throughout his active business life Mr. Darneille's father followed farming in Loami township, and there died in 1889, while his wife passed away in 1884. Their other children were Daniel, now deceased; Eliza J ., wife of John R. Shelton, of Piatt county, Illinois, and Mrs. Rebecca M. Van Doren, a widow living in Springfield.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Darneille were born six children, as follows: John H., who is married and lives in Springfield; Caroline K., wife of Walter E. Carlin, of Jerseyville, Illinois; Margaret H., widow of John T. Lewis, and a resident of Chatham; Florence K., wife of E. V. Lewis, now of Omaha, Nebraska; Charles A., who is with the army in the Philippines, being a member of the Relief Corps; and James M., who is in Seattle, Washington.
After his marriage Mr. Darneille located on a farm in what is now Chatham township, where he became the owner of three hundred acres of land, and to its improvement and cultivation be devoted his energies for eleven years. He then rented the place and bought property in the village of Chatham, where he practically lived retired throughout the remainder of his life though he still looked after his farm and business interests. Politically, he was a stanch supporter of the Republican party and its principles, and always took a very active and prominent part in public affairs, serving as a member of the village board for some years. He never withheld his support from any measure which he believed would prove of public benefit, and in his death the community realized that it had lost a valued and useful citizen. For years he was a Mason, and was laid to rest in the Chatham cemetery with Masonic honors. He was a liberal, kind hearted man, and was held in the highest regard by all who knew him.