ED L. GROVES - Ed L. Groves, who is now successfully engaged in the insurance, real estate and loan business in Springfield, was born at Williamsville in this county on the 1st of October, 1863, and has spent the greater part of his life in the county. His father, George Groves, was a native of Pennsylvania, born in Hummelstown, September 22, 1822, and was fourteen years of age when brought by his parents to Sangamon county, Illinois, in 1836. When a young man he was married in Fancy Creek township November 26, 1844, to Miss Jane Brown, whose birth occurred near Frankfort, Kentucky, on the 29th of April, 1826. Six children blessed this union, namely: James H., a merchant of Williamsville; John W., a resident of Chicago; George A., who married Emma Lake and died in this thirty-eighty years, leaving one daughter, Eva L., now a teacher in the Trapp school of Springfield; Isaac F., a resident of Williamsville; Mary E., wife of C. W. Ryan, of Chicago; and Ed L. of this review. The father was killed by accident on the 3rd of October, 1898. The mother died March 8, 1890, and both were buried in Stewart's cemetery, near Williamsville.
When eleven years of age Ed L. Groves accompanied his parents on their removal to Chicago, where for ten years the father was engaged in the live stock commission business on a large scale at the Union Stock Yards with his brother, under the firm name of Groves Brothers, and in 1882 returned to Williamsville, Sangamon county, where he lived retired until his death. During the war of the Rebellion he was an extensive dealer and shipper of stock and also fed cattle for market. He did much for the upbuilding and improvement of Williamsville and was widely and favorably known throughout Sangamon and adjoining counties.
Ed L. Groves was largely educated in the public schools of Chicago and after the return of the family to Williamsville he was connected with his father and brother in the mercantile business at that place for some time. He was also interested in the insurance, real estate and loan business. In May, 1902, he removed to Springfield, but still claims Williamsville as his home on account of family ties and business interests there. He opened his present office in Springfield on the 15th of June, 1902, on East Washington street, opposite the First National Bank. He has already built up a good business here and has made many warm friends.
On the 5th of November, 1890, Mr. Groves was united in marriage to Miss Anna Shropshire, and to them has been born one child, Marie. Both Mr. and Mrs. Groves are members of the Christian church, and he is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, the Court of Honor, Hyperian Lodge No. 471, K. P., and Williamsville Lodge No. 363, I.O.O.F., having passed through all the chairs in the two last orders and is now past grand and past chancellor. His political support is given the Republican party and its principles, and while a resident of Williamsville he served as notary public sixteen years and tax collector one year. He is a wide-awake, energetic business man, of known reliability, and commands the respect and confidence of all with whom he is brought in contract either in business or social life.