Transcribed by Mary Ann Kaylor
Edward M. Hoy, having a wide and favorable acquaintance in business circles in Springfield, was born in Shelbyville, Illinois, on the 23rd of February, 1863. His parents were S. P. and A. F. Hoy. The latter died in 1901, but the former is still living and is now engaged in the insurance business, with offices in the Millikin Bank building in Decatur, Illinois.
When a mere lad Edward M. Hoy resided in various Illinois towns. His father was a minister of the United Brethren church and because of this removed to various places, so that our subject spent his boyhood in a number of localities during an entire decade. He then went with his parents to Decatur, where he grew to manhood. In the meantime, however, he attended the public schools, and after acquiring a good literary education he attended the Chicago College of Pharmacy. He passed the examination and was graduated before the state board of pharmacy in Springfield in 1882. In the same year he accepted a position in the employ of H. B. Cole, of Decatur, with whom he remained for four years, when he came to Springfield and entered the employ of Hamlin & Sprague. He continued with their successor, Charles Ryan, for fourteen years, when he bought the Diller store in 1901. The store was then and always has been at its present location, No. 122 South Sixth street, on the east side of the square. It is one of the oldest establishments of the kind in the city; in fact, it is a veritable landmark, the pioneer trysting place of many noted characters, the impetus first received, probably, being because Abraham Lincoln, in an early day, could usually be found here with his pocket knife in hand, always ready to "swap a good one." In through a little side door there is a room which contains a number of relics in the way of old fixtures with which Mr. Lincoln was associated. The sides of the wall bear the knife marks of Mr. Lincoln, showing his skill as a whittling artist, for the practice of making pictures upon wood was then prevalent. The old awning of this store bore the date of 1837, but the place is now one of the most modern, none in this city carrying a higher class of goods or having a better patronage. The dispensary department is all that a thoroughly first class department of this character could be, and Mr. Hoy employs experienced, educated and careful pharmacists. The arrangement of the store, with its modern equipments, is mot attractive and pleasing in appearance, and a very liberal patronage is accorded the proprietors, for Mr. Hoy is now associated in business with Dr. A. C. James under the style of Hoy & James. Three clerks are employed in the conduct of the business, and the enterprise is meeting with a substantial and healthful growth.
Mr. Hoy was married to Miss Linnie D. Dunnuck, the wedding being celebrated on the 24th of June, 1886. They now have two children - Bryon E., who is attending the Springfield high school at the age of fourteen years, and Helen C., who is with her parents in their home at No. 1120 South Second Street. Mr. Hoy is a Republican in politics and active in the Masonic order. He belongs to a number of local societies and in social circles is well known. His business relations connect him closely with the commercial life of Springfield and he has made for himself a reputation that is enviable and creditable.