JACOB Y. HUSSEY. - It argues well for Sangamon county, its opportunities and advantages, that so many of its native sons have remained residents of this part of the state, and among the number is Jacob Y. Hussey, who was born September 19, 1836, on the farm on section 20, Williams township, where he now resides. He is devoting his time and energies to agricultural pursuits, and has two hundred and forty acres of well improved and valuable land. His father was William S. Hussey, and his brother, Nathan Hussey, whose sketch appears on another page of this volume.
When out subject was fifteen years of age the family crossed the plains and located in Oregon, where they spent eight years. In the meantime he attained his majority, and cast his first vote for the first constitution of Oregon. On his return to Illinois, he made the trip by way of the Isthmus of Darien and New Orleans, then up the Mississippi river to Cairo, and by the Illinois Central Railroad to Sangamon county. Mr. Hussey then worked on the home farm until after the Civil war broke out. Feeling that his country needed his services, he enlisted in September, 1861, in Company A, Thirty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, which was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee. He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh, and in the latter engagement was shot through the right wrist, permanently disabling him. After some time spent in a hospital in St. Louis, he was sent home and honorably discharged at Camp Butler, Illinois in September, 1862.
Returning home Mr. Hussey was married in Williams township, in April, 1863, to Miss Sarah Yocom, a daughter of William Yocom, who is represented elsewhere in this work. Unto them have been born the following children: William M. and Charles H., who are both married and follow farming in Williams township; and Anna M., at home.
After his marriage Mr. Hussey remained on the home farm for a time, and for four or five consecutive years, served as assessor of Williams township. At length he purchased a farm near Barclay and served as station agent at that place for eight years. He was also instrumental in opening up the mines at that place, being one of the promoters of the enterprise. In 1879 he purchased the old homestead of his father, and has since devoted his attention to the improvement and cultivation of the place. He has built a large, attractive brick residence and good barns, and today has one of the most desirable places in that locality. Besides the home place he owns an eighty acre tract near Williamsville, and is accounted one of the most progressive and successful farmers of the township.
In his political affiliations Mr. Hussey is a pronounced Republican, having supported that party since casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Fraternally he is a Master Mason, belonging to the blue lodge at Williamsville, of which he has been secretary for a number of years, and he is also a member of Stephenson Post, G.A.R., of Springfield. He and his wife are widely and favorably known, and the hospitality of the best homes of the community si extended to them while at their own home they delight to entertain their many friends.