FERRY, JOHN T. - A representative citizen and successful agriculturist of Sangamon County, Ill., who is cultivating an excellent property of 136 acres on Section 33, Cartwright Township, was born just south of Pleasant Plains, Ill., September 29, 1864, a son of Thomas H. and Loretta (Perrin) Ferry, natives of St. Lawrence County, N.Y.
The first wife of Thomas H. Ferry was a Miss Maria Lamphier, who died leaving him one son, O. E. Ferry, of Eldorado, Kan., and he was married a second time to Loretta Perrin, who bore him four children, of whom two died in infancy, the survivors being: John T. and George P., the latter a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Cartwright Township. Thomas H. Ferry first came to Sangamon County in 1846 and purchased land, but after the death of his first wife returned to New York, whence he again came to Illinois in 1858, and spent the remainder of his life on his farm, becoming one of the leading men of his township, and a man admired and esteemed for his honesty, integrity and many charities. He died January 4, 1899, and his wife followed him to the grave June 25, 1905.
The boyhood of John T. Ferry was passed much the same as that of other farms' boys of his day, his education being secured in the district schools during the time that he could spare from his duties on the home farm. Drilled to the life of a farmer and stock raiser, he has made this his life work, and at the age of twenty-two years he rented a part of the home farm, successfully operating sixty acres for a period of two years. On November 13, 1890, he was united in married with Miss Viola Purvines, who was born near their present home in Cartwright Township, February 10, 1865, the daughter of William G. and Emily Frances (Eaton) Purvines, both of whom were born in Cartwright Township. Mr. Purvines dates the coming of his family to Sangamon County as far back as 1822 or 1823, and he now resides in the village of Pleasant Plains, being one of the extensive landowners of the township. Mr. and Mrs. Purvines are still living, as are all of their children, there having never been a death in the family. Their children are as follows: Mrs. Ferry; Loran, a farmer of Cartwright Township; Alice, the wife of Augustus H. Atherton, a farmer of Cartwright Township; Carroll, a rancher of Panhandle, Carson County, Tex.; Beulah, the wife of Homer G. Doughit, who farms in Cartwright Township; Walter, a large landowner in the Panhandle district of Tex.; and Edith, who resides with her parents.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Ferry located on a farm in Auburn Township, and here he successfully continued in agricultural pursuits until 1899, when he purchased the present property, a fine trace of 136 acres, which he has cultivated to a high state. His property can boast of well kept fences, graded pastures, excellent barn and outbuildings and a comfortable dwelling. He uses the latest and most highly improved farm machinery in his work, and breeds a high grade of cattle.
Mr. Ferry has always acted with the Republican party and his services to this organization have prompted his fellow citizens to tender him places of public preferment, but he has always declined to hold public office, preferring to give his time and attention to his agricultural interests. Although a member of no religious body, he is always ready to give liberally to church and charitable movements, and is a firm believer in education. Mrs. Ferry has long been an active member of the Methodist Church.