FINK, EDWARD A. - It has often been truly said that the newspapers of any community serve in a large degree to mold public opinion, and it is, therefore, to those who have the newspapers in charge, and more especially those who write the editorials, that the public must look for the welfare of their interests. One of the enterprising and, at the same time, conservative sheets of Sangamon County, is the Pleasant Plains "Weekly Press," whose owner and editor, Edward A. Fink, bears a high reputation in the Illinois newspaper field. Mr. Fink is a native of Pleasant Plains, born September 14, 1879, a son of George W. and Rebecca (Hayes) Fink.
George W. fink was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, February 2, 1825, son of George and Mary (Way) Fink, the former was born in Maryland in 1796, and the latter in Loudoun County, Va. About 1824 George Fink removed to Muskingum County, Ohio, during the early days of that State, and engaged in the merchandising business, in which he was interested up to the time of his death, in 1833, as the result of an accident. After his death his widow brought her children farther West, locating in Pleasant Plains, Ill., where her death occurred in 1885, when she had reached the ripe old age of eighty-eight years. George W. Fink was reared in Ohio, and even as a youth showed marked ability as a business man, although he was given little time to acquire educational advantages. After learning the trade of carriage maker in Circleville, Ohio, he went to Lexington, Ky., and later to St. Louis, Mo., at both of which places he followed his chosen occupation and he subsequently located in Pleasant Plains, Ill., where he established a home and a factory for the manufacture of carriages, buggies and vehicles of all kinds. During the thirty-five years that he followed this business he built up one of the largest trades in the State, the excellence of his workmanship, the durability of his vehicles and farm implements, and his honorable business methods, securing for him a reputation that insured a large patronage. He also invested in farm property and finally became the owner of a farm of 333 acres near the town, a quarter-section of land being left his wife by her father at the latter's death. Although having reached the advanced age of eighty-six years, he still retains his good health and displays an active interest in Democratic politics, his services to that party having been recognized in the past by his election to a number of county offices.
On May 4, 1875, Mr. Fink was married to Miss Rebecca Hayes, daughter of J. W. Hayes, an old settler of Pleasant Plains and to them were born three children: Bertha H., who married E. L. Hurt; Edward A., and Frank C., all of whom make their homes in Pleasant Plains.
Edward A. fink received his preliminary education in the public schools of Pleasant Plains, pursued the higher courses at Springfield, then took up the study of law for one year, but eventually deciding to enter the journalistic field, became connected with the newspaper interests of Pleasant Plains. About 1898 he started the "Weekly Press," and has since conducted this clean, bright sheet, which is devoted to general and local news. He has succeeded in securing a large circulation and good advertising patronage. His editorials are clear and concise, and while setting forth his views on many leading subjects of the day, he never bitterly denounces those who differ with him in opinion.
In November, 1898, Mr. Fink was married to Josephine E. Carter, a native of Sangamon County, where she was reared and educated. Her father, Robert Carter, located there at an early day, having come with his father's family from Tennessee. Mr. Fink is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the elks and the Odd Fellows, and he and Mrs. Fink are highly esteemed in the community, the hospitality of the best homes being extended to them and their own home being noted for its social functions. Mr. fink has always been active in all public enterprises, and while a member of the Village Board was instrumental in making many improvements in his native village.