FRY, DOMINICK, a veteran of the Civil War, who has lived in Springfield since 1872, was born in Baden, Germany, August 4, 1836, son of Frank and Mary (Leifer) Fry, both of whom spent their entire lives in Germany, as did the grandparents. Dominick Fry was reared and educated in his native country, and in 1850 emigrated to America, landing in New York. He worked first at gardening and later moved to Pennsylvania, where he was employed digging in an ore bank.
In October, 1861, Dominick Fry enlisted in Company H, Third Maryland Infantry, served two years and was discharged at Alexandria, from the hospital camp. In 1864, he re-enlisted in Company H, Two Hundredth Pennsylvania Infantry, and served to the close of the war. He was wounded at Antietam, and also participated in battles at Cedar Mountain, Culpeper, bull Run, Fort Stedman, Fort Held, Petersburg, and many others. He endured many hardships and feels reasonably proud of his record as a soldier. He was later transferred to the Fifty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. During his first enlistment he served as Corporal. He was discharged in June, 1865.
Mr. Fry was married in Springfield, in 1870, to Miss Annie Wieties, who was born in Menard County, Ill., March 8, 1859, daughter of Uffie Wieties, who was born in Germany and died in Springfield as did his wife, Minnie. Four children were born to Mr. Fry and his wife, namely: Minnie, born in Springfield, March 16, 1878, married William Reitz, of Springfield, and they have three children; Mary born in Springfield, July 12, 1883, married Russell Reavely, and they live in Springfield; John, born in Springfield May 4, 1885, is unmarried and lives with his parents; Uffie, born in Springfield November 19, 1887, is unmarried and lives at home. Mr. Fry and his family have lived in the home which he owns, at No. 1928 North Eighth Street, for thirty years. He has three grandchildren - Grace, Blossom and Lee Wright. Mr. Fry is a member of the Lutheran Church, and in politics is a Republican. He served as a member of the Village Board of Ridgely, and was the first police officer of that village. He worked in the rolling mills from the time he located in Springfield until 1899, since which time he has been employed as janitor of the Ridgely School. Honest and upright in all his dealings, he has many warm friends.