HARWOOD, WILLIAM T., During the past few decades farming has been revolutionized. The rich Sangamon County farm lands have been brought into the highest state of cultivation, and agricultural operations are carried on according to scientific methods. One who has made a success of farming is William T. Harwood, of Section 30, Williams Township. He was born in Decatur County, Ind., July 20, 1848, son of Ebenezer and Caroline (Sumter) Harwood, natives of Kentucky and Indiana.
Ebenezer Harwood, who was a farmer, came from Kentucky to Indiana when only eleven years old, locating on a farm in Decatur County. There he grew up, and when the war broke out he gave the Union cause his loyal support, to the extent of enlisting in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but after a year's service, he was taken sick and died at Knoxville, Tenn. His wife was a relative of General Sumter, and her death occurred in Decatur County, Ind., in 1898. She bore her husband five sons and two daughters, five children of whom survive: C. D., of St. Paul, Ind.; James F., a farmer of near Greensburg, Ind.; Mrs. Mary O. Wilson, of Milford, Ind.; Mrs. Susan E. Page, of the same place, and William T.
The marriage of Mr. Harwood and Josie Kagle took place in Springfield, November 14, 1878. She was born in Sangamon County, where her father Joseph Kagle had located upon coming from Ohio, although he was a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Kagle was one of the early settlers of this part of the State and developed a fine farm. He also worked at his trade of cooper, thus continuing until his death. His wife was born in Virginia, and she, too, has passed away. Mrs. Harwood is one of a family of nine children, only three of whom survive: Mrs. Knight, of Rantoul, Ill.; Mrs. A. C. Kalb, of Springfield, and Mrs. Harwood. Mr. and Mrs. Harwood had two sons: Forect C., living on a farm in Logan County, married Florence Bates, of Williamsville, issue - Gerald E., John C., Milton T. and J. Irene; John A., married Golda Van Meta and lives in Williams Township.
During his long residence in his locality Mr. Harwood has witnessed many changes, participating in a number of them. He has always been a friend of good roads, excellent schools and similar improvements, and has lent his influence towards securing them. While he has never sought public notice, he has proven himself a good citizen and a most trustworthy and reliable business man.