HUBER, FRED DELOS, M.D., physician and surgeon of Pleasant Plains, and a representative of one of the oldest pioneer families of Sangamon County, is one of the leading men of his profession in his part of the county. He is the exponent of the new school in medicine, and is faithful to his ideals and proficient in his calling. Dr. Huber was born in Meriden, Kan., June 12, 1878, a son of William M. and Betsy J. (Irwin) Huber. On his mother's side, Dr. Huber is descended from A. B. Irwin, one of th earliest settlers of this part of the county, and who came to Sangamon County from North Carolina. William Huber was born in Ohio, but came to Pleasant Plains at an early day. There he married, becoming one of the leading men of his locality. When the war broke out, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving for three years, participating in the Siege of Vicksburg, as well as in many other hardly contested conflicts of the war. He inherited his military inclinations from Revolutionary ancestors. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Huber: Herbert O. of Pleasant Plains; Ada A., wife of D. C. D. Wright of Springfield, Ill.; Dr. Huber; Pearl B., wife of Dr. R. D. Duran, of Illiopolis, and W. Hope at home. The mother and daughter still reside at Pleasant Plains, but the father answered the last roll call in 1883. In politics he was a Republican, and fraternally belonged to the A.O.U.W. Both he and his wife early joined the Presbyterian Church, and brought their children up in its faith.
Dr. Huber was only four years old when the family returned to Pleasant Plains, and his boyhood days were spent in that village, where he attended school, graduating in the class of 1897. He then accepted a position in Clarkson & Mitchell's drug store, on the corner of Fifth and Monroe, where he spent two years, and while there was trained as a pharmacist, but being ambitious of a higher position, in October, 1902, entered the medical department of the St. Louis University, where he studied medicine for four years, graduating in the class of 1906, standing high in all the branches. Then returning home, he began practice, and his earnest efforts have been amply rewarded by securing a large patronage and the confidence of the community. His equipment is complete, and he keeps abreast of the remarkable advancement in his profession by constant reading and attendance upon the meetings of the societies to which he belongs, including the American Medical Association, the Illinois State Medical Society, and the Sangamon County Medical Society. Fraternally he belongs to the Masons and the Modern Woodmen of America, for the latter being medical examiner. He devotes his attention to general practice, and, whenever his services are needed, is always ready to respond to the call of duty. His skill has been demonstrated upon numerous occasions, and his sympathy and tactful handling of difficult cases wins him the affectionate confidence of those dependent upon his knowledge and ability.
Dr. Huber was married at Springfield, Ill. April 26, 1911, by Rev. E. M. Steen, pastor of the Fifth Presbyterian Church, to Oleta Mae Brown, of Pleasant Plains, Ill. Mrs. Huber is the daughter of J. Peyton and Rosetta M. (Rayhill) Brown, and was formerly a resident of Jacksonville, Ill., where she attended the High School, the Woman's College, and the Conservatory of Music.