HUBER, WILLIAM HARRISON (deceased), for a long time engaged in agricultural pursuits in Sangamon County, Ill., was one of the highly esteemed citizens of Pleasant Plains, and an honored veteran of the great Civil War, in which he won an enviable record. William Harrison Huber was born on a farm near Fairfield, Ohio, December 22, 1839, and in that section his parents died.
When a young man Mr. Huber came to Cartwright Township, Sangamon County, whither his brother James had come some time before and entered land, and young Huber continued to work with his brother until the latter sold out and removed to Meriden, Kan. At the time of the breaking out of the Civil War, in response to the first call for troops, Mr. Huber, enlisted with the three months men, and after this service was completed, re-enlisted August 14, 1862, in Company B, Hundred and Fourteenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, for three years or during the war. The record made by this regiment is second to no other in Illinois, its service including participation in such battles at Corinth, the Siege of Vicksburg, and the battles of Guntown, Miss., Nashville and the capture of Mobile. In consequence of exposure in the service Mr. Huber became sick and was granted a thirty-days' furlough to go home and recuperate. He then rejoined his regiment remaining with it until the close of the war, and being honorably discharged August 3, 1865, after a brave and valiant service that covered three years and three months. Returning to Cartwright Township, he remained there a short time, when he removed to Kansas, where he took up land. After building a home there he returned to Pleasant Plains and was there united in marriage with Miss Bettie Irwin, who was born in 1843 on the farm now owned by J. H. Irwin.
After the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Huber, they went to the new home near Topeka, Kan., but in 1881 they sold this property and returned to Pleasant Plains, where Mr. Huber's death occurred March 24, 1883. He was a member of the A.O.U.W., a Republican in politics and a faithful member of the Methodist Church. He took a great interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare of his community and is well remembered as a man of fine character and many sterling qualities. Mr. Huber, who is the daughter of Alexander B. Irwin and a descendant of a Revolutionary soldier, has spent her life in Pleasant Plains, with the exception of the time during which she lived in Kansas, and she enjoys the love and esteem of all who know her.
Herbert O. Huber, son of William H. and Bettie (Irwin) Huber, and who is now serving as station agent of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Pleasant Plains, was born in Kansas, December 24, 1871, and there began his school days. In 1881 he came with his parents to Pleasant Plains, and after school hours would visit the station here, finally taking up telegraphy in order to fit himself for his present position. On finishing his school training in 1890 he was given a position in the office and in 1894 was sent to the office at Virginia, Ill., as telegraph operator. In 1897 he was sent to Philadelphia, Cass County, as station agent, and in August, 1910, being recognized as a man particularly adapted to railroad work, was given charge of the company's business at Pleasant Plains, a position he still holds. He was married March 10, 1898, at Virginia, Ill., to Miss Nell B. Davis, who was born and reared there, the daughter of L. C. and Annie (Miller) Davis, her father being engaged in the real estate and loan business in that city. Mr. and Mrs. Huber have one son, Vernon, born at Philadelphia, Ill., August 28, 1899. Mr. Huber is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America at Pleasant Plains, and the lodge of the Masonic fraternity at Virginia.
Of the other children of William H. and Bettie Huber, Adah, is the wife of Dr. C. D. Wright, a physician and surgeon of Springfield; Fred is a rising young physician; Pearl is the wife of Dr. Richard D. Dugan of Illiopolis, Ill.; and Hope resides at home with the mother of the family.