JACKSON, JOHN A. (deceased), an honored veteran of the Civil War and for some years a resident near Sherman, Sangamon County, carried on farming in that county for more than thirty years and was well regarded as a useful, patriotic citizen. Mr. Jackson was born in the northern part of Pennsylvania, October 6, 1833, both his parents being also natives of that State. The father, John Jackson, was a farmer and both he and his wife spent their entire lives in Pennsylvania. They were parents of three sons and three daughters.
The country schools of Pennsylvania furnished Mr. Jackson his education and, after his school days, he helped his father on the home farm until coming to Illinois in 1859, he located near LeRoy, McLean County, and there engaged in farming, remaining several years. He then spent a short time in the city of Springfield, but later moved to a farm northeast of the city, where he successfully conducted a farm for thirty years and where he spent the last years of his life.
During the early part of the Civil War Mr. Jackson enlisted at Bloomington in Company F, Ninety-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which he served three years, participating in many battles, including the notable siege of Vicksburg and battle of Corinth. He was once wounded but did not return home until the close of his term, when he spent some years in McLean County. He was a member of the G.A.R., and in politics was a Republican; he was a Methodist in religious faith, and both he and his wife became active and useful members of the church organization at Sherman. A man of conscientious, reliable character, he endeavored to discharge his full obligations in all relations of life, thus winning the regard and confidence of all with whom he was associated.
Mr. Jackson was married at Bloomington, Ill., August 18, 1860, to Mary J. Ramey, born in Ohio, December 3, 1843, a daughter of John Ramey and wife, both natives of that State. The parents became early settlers of McLean County and lived near Bloomington several years, then moved northeast of Springfield and there resided until their deaths. They were parents of six sons and two daughters, of whom the following are now surviving: James, of Delphi, Ind.; William, of Gibson City, Ill.; John, living on a farm north of Springfield; Edward and George of Springfield; Mrs. Jackson of Sherman, Ill. One son was born to Mr. Jackson and wife, Alfred P., of Sherman, in the employ of the Chicago & Alton Railroad Company, who married Miss Nancy Hamrick, a native of Illinois, and they have three children: Andrew D., Ethel D. and Violet L. Mr. Jackson died in 1901 and his widow now lives in Sherman where she shares a comfortable home owned by her son.