JUDD, GEORGE, who owns a nice farm of thirty acres on the edge of the city of Springfield, Ill., has spent his entire life in this vicinity. He was born in Springfield, April 17, 1849, a son of Evi and Paulina (Southwick) Judd, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of New York State. The father came to America as a young man and spent a few years at Montreal, Canada, coming to Springfield in 1838. He entered land from the Government and carried on farming and also worked at his trade of brick mason, making his home at Springfield until his death, April 16, 1870. He took part in the Mormon War. His wife died at Carlinville, May 14, 1869.
Mr. Judd was educated in Springfield public schools and in youth worked on his father's farm. For eleven years he worked in the brick yard for John Lauterbach, then took up teaming and followed that occupation three years, following which he spent thirteen years at the Black Diamond Coal Mine, and eleven years since he bought his present home and the small fertile farm he has so successfully cultivated. He and his wife are members of the Methodist church and active in its good work, and in politics he is a Republican. He has many warm friends in the city and stands well with all who have had any dealings with him. He was personally acquainted with Abraham Lincoln and had much respect for him and his principles.
October 29, 1874, Mr. Judd was married in Springfield, to Helen Fitch, born in Jackson County, Ohio, November 8, 1852, daughter of Stephen A. Fitch, also a native of that State. Mr. Fitch was a carpenter by trade and died in Ohio, where he had spent his entire life, in 1856. His widow later came to Springfield, and died, at the home of Mrs. Judd, in 1881. Four children were born to Mr. Judd and wife, of whom three now survive: Anna, wife of Charles Bryant, of Springfield, who conducts a dairy; Nancy A., married James Thompson, a miner, and she conducts a grocery store on Laurel Street, Springfield; James, a miner living in Springfield. There are eleven grandchildren in the family. Mr. Judd's comfortable home is pleasantly located on the southwestern corner of Fourth and Ash Streets.