KAYLOR, John - a retired farmer and prominent citizen of Illiopolis, Ill., is an honored veteran of the Civil War,in which he served with credit for three years. Mr. Kaylor is native of Johnstown, Pa., born March 8, 1836, a son of DANIEL and MARGARET (EKIS) KAYLOR, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Hagerstown, Md. The paternal great-grandfather was a Revolutionary War soldier. A relic of him and Revolutionary days is a sugar bowl over 200 years old, owned by Mr. Kaylor, but now in the possession of his daughter, Mrs. Clark of Illiopolis, Ill.
DANIEL KAYLOR was a farmer, who in 1860, moved to Edgar County, Ill., where he lived on a farm until his death in 1882, his wife having died two years previously. The family were originally from Germany, and the grandfather DANIEL KAYLOR also served in the Revolutionary War. There were eight children born in the family to which John Kaylor belongs: William; John and Theodore, the sons, and Mary A.; Louise; Ellen and Malinda, the daughters in addition to one who died in infancy. William enlisted in Company H, Fourth Indiana Cavalry during the Civil War and died in Andersonville prison.
John Kaylor received his education in Pennsylvania, spending his boyhood on a farm. As a young man he drove a stage, being in the employ of the Ohio State Company, along the Erie and Pittsburg turnpike, beginning this work in 1853. He drove a coat-and-six from Mercer, Pa., to Iowa City, and after the company moved their outfit of 200 horses and twenty-four stage coaches, he drove two years for the Western Stage Coach Company, operating between Des Moines to Adel, Iowa. He then moved to Edgar County, Ill., and took up farming which he continued from1858 to 1862, meeting with very gratifying success. On August 1, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Fourth Indiana Cavalry, serving during the remainder of the war, receiving his discharge August 12, 1865. He enlisted at Terre Haute, Ind., and was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn.
Mr. Kaylor under the command of General Cook and George H. Purdy, was Captain of his company. He participated in the engagement at Perryville, with his divison helping in the taking of Nashville; fought at Murfreesboro and Tullahoma, Tenn.; Huntsville, Ala.; Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge, and in the last named battle, this divison co-operated with General Grant. Mr. Kaylor took part in the forced march to Knoxville, helped to drive the Confederates to Bulls Gap, Va., then returned to Cleveland, Tenn. May 2, 1864, the cavalry marched to Dalton, Ga., where the company was almost annihilated, only three of them surviving the conflict. May 11, 1864, he was detailed for courier duty, which he continued until September 2, after the capture of Atlanta, when he was returned to his company and regiment. Mr. Kaylor participated in the second battle of Nashville, marching with his company to Eastport, Miss. thence. March 6, 1865 to Jackson, where he took part in the engagement at Selma and Montgomery, and after the surrender of the latter city to General Wilson, who was commanding the regiment, marched to Columbus, and West Point, Ga., both of which cities were captured. He helped to capture Macon, and soon thereafter peace was declared. Mr. Kaylor having served much of the time as courier, a position similar to that of Veterinary officer. He is now a prominent member of Morgan Post, No. 208, G. A. R., of which he is Quartermaster. During his term of service, his wife and three children, after being left behind, went to live with her parents. There they remained until the close of the conflict restored the brave husband and father to them. Mrs. Kaylor had two brothers, who also responded to the call of their country, and served in the Civil War.
For the past eighteen years, Mr. Kaylor has served as Assessor of his township and city and in 1920, was elected to another two year term. He has lived in his present home for the past ten years, and is retired from active life. He spent many years in hard work, being fairly successful in all his undertakings. Much of his effort was directed along agricultural lines, as he has always loved farming. At the close of the war, he located on a farm near Illiopolis, which he cultivated for thirty eight years. In politics, he is a staunch Republican, and actively interested in public affairs and issues. He has many warm friends in the community, and is universally esteemed. A devout member of the Christian Church, he is willing to further any worthy cause.
Mr. Kaylor was married at Redfield, Dallas County, Iowa, August 16, 1857, to CERILLA VAN NORMAN, born in Knox County, O., May 16, 1837, being a daughter of THEODORE VAN NORMAN, a farmer, who died in Buffalo, Dallas County, Mo., where he had located. The mother of Mrs. Kaylor died in Jacksonville, Ill, in 1880. Mrs. Kaylor died April 13, 1907, having borne her husband nine children of whom are now living: Theodore, a farmer of Christian County; William J., a farmer of Illiopolis township; Amanda, married J. C. Noried, a veterinary surgeon, and they reside at Greenville, Ill.; Mary Alice Guyton, of Spirngfield; Edna, wife of A. A. Clark, a stock-buyer; Charles in the employ of the Sattley Manufacturing Company of Springfield; Eva, married Frank Correll, a retired farmer of Illiopolis. There are twenty-nine grandchildren and three great-grandchildren in the family.
Revered by all who know him, resting assured of a happy future, undisturbed by any regrets for his well spent past, Mr. Kaylor is now enjoying his leisure, and giving close attention to civic matters, for he aims to secure improvements where he believes they are needed.