LAIRD, DR. FLORUS ALVA, veterinary surgeon, located at Auburn, Ill., has in the past few years built up a large practice in the southern part of Sangamon County, and has one of the best equipped hospitals for use in a professional way in his part of the State. He is a member of a family that has long been well known in Sangamon County, his grandfather, Josiah Laird, having been one of the early settlers of Ball Township. Dr. Laird was born on his father's farm in Ball Township, September 22, 1878, son of Joab J. and Mary J. (Stroud) Laird, the father also a native of Ball Township. Joab was a son of Josiah Laird, who became one of the extensive landowners and stockmen of the county.
Joab Laird was reared on his father's farm and in time grew to be one of the leading farmers of his township. He was one of the most highly esteemed citizens of his community, a stanch Democrat, and often held township offices, discharging every duty faithfully and well. He belonged to the Blue Lodge and Royal Arch Chapter of Masons, the former of Auburn and the latter of Pawnee. He died September 8, 1884, and his widow later married Mr. T. J. Molohan and now resides in Oklahoma. Mr. Laird and his wife had six sons (of whom four survive) and two daughters, the survivors being: Samuel M., of Anthony, Kan.; John R., on part of the home farm in Ball Township; Nicholas E., of Harvel, Ill.; Dr. F. A.; Alice, wife of F. M. Jones, living on South Seventh Street, Springfield; Cythan married Miles M. Smothers and they reside at Hawthorne Hill.
When Dr. F. A. Laird was six years of age, his father died and he went to live with his brother-in-law, F. M. Jones, where he remained until he was fourteen years of age, at which time he started to work out by the month, thus continuing until his marriage, February 9, 1898, to Miss Angie Colean, a native of Cotton Hill Township, Sangamon County, daughter of M. W. Colean, a successful farmer of that township. After marriage, the young couple settled on the home farm, and in the fall of 1899, having decided to learn a profession, Mr. Laird entered McKillip Veterinary College of Chicago, where he took a course. He was graduated from the Chicago Veterinary College with the Class of 1902, after which he began to practice in Springfield with Dr. Albert Babb, which connection was continued until 1904, when Dr. Laird located in Auburn and engaged in practice alone. He has excellent accommodation for patients brought to him, and put in his charge and has saved the lives of many valuable animals. In 1909, he erected an office to be used in connection with his hospital, and there has modern appliances to aid him in his operations, or treatment. He has five single stalls and four box stalls. Dr. Laird keeps pace with his fellow practitioners by reading the most modern literature along the lines of his profession because he realized the need for intelligent men to take it up from love of the work and consequent interest in its every detail. Dr. Laird is a member of the Illinois State Veterinary Association, and December 29, 1909, was appointed First Assistant State Veterinary Surgeon, in which post he has served most satisfactorily.
Three children were born to Dr. and Mrs. Laird, namely: Everett, born May 9, 1899; Eva, November 11, 1902, and Gladys, April 17, 1909. Mrs. Laird is an active member of the Methodist church. Dr. Laird is a member of the A.F. & A.M. and both he and his wife belong to the O.E.S. He is an enthusiastic member of the Democratic party. He has won a good reputation in his profession and as a citizen has taken a commendable interest in public affairs, winning many friends by his pleasing personality and honest worth.