LARSON, PETER B. - Among the men who have become owners of good farms through industry and enterprise is Peter B. Larson, of Section 28, New Berlin Township, Sangamon County. Mr. Larson stands high in the community as a man of earnest purpose and integrity, and has the respect of all who know him. He was born in Sweden, October 24, 1844, son of Laus and Canana Larson, who spent their entire lives in their native land, and died near Lancrona. The father was a farmer by occupation and he and his wife were parents of four sons and three daughters, six of the children still surviving and five being residents of America: Catherine, widow of Louis Nelson, now living in Helsonburg, Sweden; Andrew, died in Illinois and is buried in Springfield; Nels, a farmer near Elkhart, Ill.; Swan, a carpenter, living in Springfield; Mary, wife of a Mr. Clifford, a miner living in Idaho; Anna, wife of K. D. Williams, of Idaho, and Peter B.
As soon as Peter B. Larson was old enough he began to work out by the month, having previously attended school in his native place. In 1871 he emigrated to America and located in Champaign County, Ill., where for over two years he worked at farming for the same man. At the end of six years in Illinois he returned home and remained there from 1877-79, and then came back to Illinois, locating north of Springfield, in Sangamon County. He was married, March 10, 1881, to Miss Nellie Lunburg, born in the same locality in Sweden as himself, daughter of Peter Lunburg. The father still resides in Sweden but Mrs. Lunburg is now deceased. Mrs. Larson had one brother and one sister who came to America: Swan, a farmer residing near Sumner, Neb., and Christina, wife of Hans Jensen, a farmer of Quickville, Kan.
After his marriage Mr. Larson rented a farm near Cantrall, Sangamon County, where for two years he successfully carried on farming, then spent six years in Menard County, and in 1881 rented land in Dewitt County. In 1901 he returned to Sangamon County and rented land in Curran Township, from a Mrs. King, having for several years rented land in Dewitt County from Mr. King, thus renting eighteen years from this family. In 1906 he purchased eighty acres of the farm he now occupies, on which he has since made many improvements. He has been industrious and prudent in his operations and has won a very fair degree of success through patient endeavor and good judgment. He is enterprising and progressive in his methods of carrying on his work and has reaped the maximum of profit from his efforts.
To Mr. Larson and his wife the following children have been born: two died in infancy; Catherine O., born in Sangamon County, June 30, 1882; John, born in Menard County March 15, 1884, was accidentally shot while out hunting and died from the effects, December 18, 1905; Emma, born in Menard County, May 22, 1886, wife of H. W. Renfrow, a contractor and real estate dealer of Springfield, and they have one child, Leo W.; Clarence W., born in Dewitt County September 30, 1889, at home; Lillie E., born in Dewitt County April 5, 1894, a member of the Berlin High School Class of 1911. All have received good educations and have been well fitted to assume the duties of life. Mr. Larson and his wife were both reared in the Swedish Lutheran Church and the family are all interested in church work. Miss Kate is an active member of the Presbyterian and Mrs. Renfrow of the Christian Church.
Mr. Larson has been one of the leading Swedish-Americans in his community. In politics he has always been an advocate of the principles of the Republican party. He is a public-spirited and useful citizen, interested in the public welfare and progress. He has brought his land to a high state of cultivation and has a very pleasant home. He keeps a good grade of stock and has fund that this polity pays in the long run.