RICHARDSON, THOMAS B., proprietor of the Riverton livery and feed stables, and one of the best known men in all the country round about that enterprising town, was born in Sangamon County, Ill., January 14, 1851, a son of Thomas and Janet (Wilson) Richardson, natives of Dundee, Scotland. His father was a florist and was employed as such in his native land, as well as at New Haven, Conn., where he located on coming to the United States. In 1843 he arrived, with his family, at Springfield, Ill., with a capital of only five dollars. He lived there about a year and in that time helped to lay out the square including the old State House and the present Court House. Later he located in Clear Lake Township, Sangamon County, where he purchased 160 acres of land, and fifty-five acres, 215 altogether, on which he lived and farmed till 1862, when he moved a mile further west, where he also became the owner of 240 acres. There he lived until he died when he was the owner of more than 700 acres of good Illinois land. He had five sons and three daughters, and of those eight children seven are living: William, the eldest, is a farmer in Clear Lake Township, Sangamon County, on his father's original home place; James, a retired farmer, lived in Rochester, Ill.; Jane is the widow of the late John W. Beaumont, of St. Louis, MO., and lives in that city; Elizabeth, who married Erwin Johnson, of Springfield, Ill., is dead; Mary married John W. Nord, now a retired farmer living at Edinburg, Christian County, Ill. The subject of this sketch was next in order of nativity; John D. lives on the farm on which his parents passed their declining years and passed away. James served in the Civil War as a member of Company I, One Hundred and Fourteenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and his sister Jane presented a flat to the regiment on its departure for the seat of war.
Mr. Richardson was educated in public schools near his boyhood home and helped on the home farm during all the years of his youth and early manhood. In 1879, when he was twenty-eight years old, he moved to Christian County, Ill., and lived with one of his sisters until 1880, when he went to Colorado to prospect for mineral wealth. After a brief residence in Leadville he returned to Sangamon County and resumed farming, and was so employed till 1896, when he took up his residence in Riverton and engaged in teaming. In 1907 he bought the livery and feed stables which he has since operated with great success. As a Democrat he was elected assessor of taxes in Riverton, an office which he filled with much credit during a period of three years. He is a member of Lake Camp No. 33, Modern Woodmen of America, of Riverton, and is helpfully identified with the Christian Church.
April 14, 1884, at Springfield, Ill., Mr. Richardson married Miss Laura Dickerson, born at Rochester, Ill., February 8, 1864, a daughter of John Dickerson, a native of Virginia, who settled in Sangamon County at a comparatively early date, was for many years a farmer in Cooper Township, and is now living in retirement with his son Todd in Cotton Hill Township, his wife having died. Mrs. Richardson's only sister, Mrs. Addie Olive, wife of Wm. Olive, lives in Riverton, Ill. To Mr. and Mrs. Richardson have been born seven children, three of whom survive: Janet, Helen, and Thomas, all of whom are members of their parents; home circle. Mr. Richardson owns the Riverton livery and feed stables, a home in that village, 160 acres of farm land in Clear Lake Township and 180 acres of coal rights near Riverton. He is a man of public spirit, who has the welfare of the community at heart, a patriotic citizen and a leader in his community.