ROBINSON, JOHN WESLEY, M.D., who has built up an excellent practice in the vicinity of New Berlin, Ill., is a self-made man and well deserves the success which has attended his efforts. He is a member of the band of physicians and surgeons who do their best for their patients in a careful, painstaking way, and always bear in mind the highest principles in their profession. Dr. Robinson was born on a farm in LaSalle County, Ill., August 26, 1871, of Scotch and English descent. His father, Alexander Robinson, married a Miss Day, who died when her son John W. was a child. After his mother's death the boy was taken by his grandfather, James Robinson, to rear and received his early education in the schools of the locality. He was reared on a farm and lived with his grandparents until he was twenty-two years of age, then rented land and began life on his own account, as a farmer.
After carrying on farming for himself for three years, John W. Robinson decided to begin the study of his chosen profession, and held a sale of his farm implements and horses. In 1895, he entered Illinois Medical College, at Chicago, where he took a four year course, being graduated in 1900, after which he was appointed interne at St. Elizabeth hospital. He remained in this post eighteen months, gaining valuable experience and rendering excellent service. He then entered the office of one of his preceptors, Dr. McGee, near his old home at Tonica. He had studied with Dr. McGee during his vacations and had received advice from him on difficult problems at different times. This arrangement lasted until 1903, then the younger doctor began practice by himself, at Berlin, Sangamon County, where he at once met with success, and in November, 1905, he moved to New Berlin, where he has established himself in the confidence and esteem of the community and has an excellent practice.
Dr. Robinson has one of the best equipped offices in the county, and the latest appliances for the practice of both medicine and surgery, as well as a fine laboratory. He keeps abreast of the latest literature of his profession and the times in everything. He compounds most of his own medicines and in this way greatly adds to his success. He is sympathetic and courteous in manner and speech and in all things shows promise of a bright future in his career. He belongs to various medical societies. He is one of the medical examiners for the M.W.A. of New Berlin, and also belongs to the I.O.O.F. Every public enterprise finds in him a ready sympathizer and he is much interested in the progress and development of his community. He has for several years been a member of the Presbyterian Church. Readily making and retaining friends, he is well known in his part of the county as an upright, useful citizen. Dr. Robinson has performed several surgical operations during the time he has practiced in Sangamon County, and for this purpose takes his patients to the hospital at Springfield.