ROHRER, ANDREW (deceased), who was a prominent farmer of Section 8, Ball Township, Sangamon County, Ill., was a native of Wurtemburg, Germany, born January 1, 1840, son of Andrew and Barbara (Blakely) Rohrer, both natives of Germany, and the former of Wurtemburg. The father was a farmer by occupation and emigrated to the United States in 1852, spending a short time in New Jersey and in Philadelphia, then came to Illinois, where he located on a farm. He died in Sangamon County and was buried in Chatham Cemetery and the mother, who died in Kansas, was buried at Lebanon. They were parents of five children, three of whom now survive.
Andrew Rohrer received his education in Germany, and was twelve years of age at the time he came with his parents to America. After spending a short time in New Jersey, he accompanied them to Philadelphia, and spent six years in that city. At the age of eighteen years he came with his parents to Sangamon County, and spent the remainder of his life in Ball Township. At the time of the Civil War he did all the overseeing and labor for Col. Shoup's family until the Colonel returned from the War.
Mr. Rohrer was married in Springfield, Ill., by Rev. Barthing, February 12, 1867, to Mina Schmidt, who was born in Germany, April 20, 1847, daughter of Gottlieb Schmidt. She accompanied her parents to America as a child. The Schmidt family landed at New York and soon afterward came to Sangamon County. Mrs. Rohrer died February 7, 1904, having borne her husband seven children, namely: Edward Godlob, born April 30, 1868; Emma Louise, February 26, 1870; George William, February 11, 1872; Charles John, April 27, 1874; Benjamin, July 1, 1876; Carrie Ida, November 16, 1878; Francis, October 30, 1888. Three of these children are married and four single, and all reside in Sangamon County, except Mrs. Martin Wagner, of Chicago.
After his marriage Mr. Rohrer spent some time at the home of Col. Shoup, then engaged in farming in Ball Township, where he became a well-known and respected citizen. He was a Democrat in politics and served as County Commissioner from 1895 until 1904. In religious views he was a Lutheran. He was a most industrious farmer and brought his thirty acres of land to a high state of cultivation. He won many friends and was highly esteemed by all. He died at his home in Ball Township August 27, 1910, and his loss was genuinely mourned by all who knew him.