Transcribed by Patty Gaddis
WALKER, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, (deceased), who for many years carried on farming near Breckenridge, Sangamon County, was prominent in public affairs in his community and was much respected by all. He made his own way in life, his father dying when the son was a boy and leaving a large family. Mr. Walker was born in Jay County, Ind, November 9, 1853, and was a son of Charles Walker and his wife, farming people, who had seven sons and four daughters, all of whom except one were living at the time of the father's death. The parents moved from Indiana to Schuyler County, Ill, and after the father's death the widow and children all worked to keep the family together. They prospered well and Benjamin F remained at home until his marriage to Sarah Stobaugh, of Christian County, Ill, the ceremony being performed by Rev. Eli Matthew. After his marriage Mr. Walker located in Sangamon County, where he spent the remainder of his life. His mother died in 1903.
Mr. Walker was married at Sharpsburg, Ill, to Jennie Stobaugh, born in Sangamon County, September 7, 1869, daughter of Andrew and Mary Frances (Nell) Stobaugh, the former born in Iowa, January 20, 1834, and the latter born in Kentucky, December 19, 1847. Mr. and Mrs. Stobaugh were married in Sangamon County, August 12, 1868, and became parents of two children: James William, died at the age of thirteen years, October 11, 1884, and Mrs. Walker.
Four children were born to Mr. Walker, all of whom survive, namely: Charles Andrew, April 18, 1892; Elsie Ethel, December 22, 1894; Jesse Daniel, October 30, 1895; Iva Dot, October 26, 1897. The children have all attended the Breckenridge School.
In politics Mr. Walker was a Democrat. He served as Road Commissioner and as Trustee of the school at Breckenridge. He was a member of the local camp of Woodmen and was well known in social and fraternal circles. He belonged to the South Fork Christian Church, as do the other members of the family. He was an industrious and prosperous farmer and owned 195 acres of land in Section 5, Cooper Township, which he had brought to a high state of cultivation. Mr. Walker died August 24, 1906, and his widow now rents her land, but she and the children continue to reside in the old home. He was actively interested in the public welfare and prosperity and was held in high esteem by his fellow citizens, among whom he has been greatly missed.