Transcribed by: Patty Gaddis
WEAVER, JACOB (deceased) - an old and highly esteemed settler of Sangamon County, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, March 7, 1818, the son of German parents, who were early settlers of Ohio. The father was a farmer by occupation and spent his last days in Sangamon County, where he had brought his family. He and his wife were married in Germany and soon afterward came to the United States, settling in Cincinnati. They were parents of three sons and two daughters, all of whom are deceased. Jacob Weaver was educated in Pickaway County, Ohio, where his parents lived several years before coming to Illinois, and during his boyhood he helped his father with the farm work, at which he continued all his life. He came to Sangamon county one year after his marriage and, for fifteen years resided five miles south of Williamsville, then came to the farm now occupied by his widow and daughter. He purchased 166 acres of land and developed it into a fine farm. He was an industrious farmer, a good neighbor and a kind husband and father, and endeavored to do his full duty in all the relations of life. He is still remembered kindly in the neighborhood and left a reputation for strict honesty and integrity. He was a Presbyterian in religious belief and active in promoting the general welfare of his community. He was always a Democrat in politics, and a public spirited, useful citizen.
Mr. Weaver was married in Pickaway County, Ohio, October 8, 1845, to Mary A. Dean, born in Virginia, June 20, 1823, and her parents were also natives of Virginia, who were early settlers of Pickaway County, Ohio. The Dean family lived seven years in Ohio, then moved to Sangamon County and purchased land, where the father carried on farming until his death. There were ten children in the family, of whom but two survive, Mrs. Weaver, and her brother, George, who lives near Quincy, IL. George Dean was at one time a State Senator in Illinois. Three children were born to Mr. Weaver and his wife, of whom but one survives, Alice, wife of James Lewis, who has two children, William and Eva. Mrs. Weaver lives on and manages her 166 acres in Section 11, Williams Township, which yields her a good income. Mr. Weaver died on the farm May 15, 1888. Mrs. Weaver is interested in church work and is a member of the Methodist Church. She has the warm regard of a number of friends and is esteemed by all who know her.